• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22" vs 26" radiator ....

65-440

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
I knew it was only a matter of time before I needed to address my radiator, the factory 1968 small block 22" radiator isn't up to par with my .030 over 383..... I've been looking at the ecp 2 1"tube units. I'm torn between the 22" or the 26" ... I do have future plans for a/c install. The front support opening is only 22.5"wide, with a 26" radiator that would leave 1.25" on each side of the radiator covered. Would that honestly make that big of a difference ? I do Have a factory 26" shroud and will be running a 7 blade fan with HD clutch. The 22" would be a direct drop in but I don't have a shroud and would that be enough for a warmed up big block with a/c ??

I have a 22" rad from GlenRay in my 65 Belvedere. Uses a 2 piece original shroud and a 7 blade fan but no room for a clutch. So far the hemi has not exceeded 180.
The GlenRay stuff is not cheap but it looks factory original.

GlenRay is a favorite here, but I've not run one myself. In general, your idea of the 2-row 1"+ tube style should cool very well. A/C cars came 26" wide I believe & I went 26" wide myself. If you have a 22" core support, the 26" radiator will bolt up & will be an improvement, but you're right, roughly 4" of the radiator will be blocked from direct air flow from the front. In my opinion, your options in order best-to-less good are:
1. Replace radiator core support with a 26" wide one
2. Cut your 22" core support for a 26" wide hole (what I did)
3. Run the 26" radiator in the 22" wide hole
4. Run a really good 22" wide radiator... your 2 x 1" tube idea might work.
5. GlenRay 22"

I know, I know... everybody likes GlenRay and I used to personally sell him heavy duty radiator cores. It's a great shop & probably #1 in all of the Chrysler world for OEM looking radiators. I just have had sooooo many overheating problems in my own cars, so maybe I "overbuild" cooling systems.

If you are going to install A/C, I would get the 26" radiator. Even 318 cars with A/C came with the 26" radiator.
I never used the ECP radiator, but they look really nice for the price.
If you want a stock appearing radiator, I can attest that Glen-Ray makes a great radiator, but they are expensive.
If using a mechanical fan, get the fan shroud. A stock type clutch fan seems to work better than most flex fans.
If you are thinking of using electric fans, it is more involved and expensive than you might think.

I have no doubts that Glenn Ray stuff is top notch, but I don't need a thousand dollar radiator in this car ! I could care less about correct numbers, it's already a small block car converted to big block. I just don't want to overheat ! I was leaning towards the 26", but questioned the support opening. I have zero desire to replace it, wonder is this few inches on the end being covered up will make a noticeable difference ?

I put a 26" rad in the 22" opening in my big block Cuda. It is originally a 383 car and I now have 500 in it. I did not open up the stock 22" support opening. In my experience, my car cools fine.

If you are going to install A/C, I would get the 26" radiator. Even 318 cars with A/C came with the 26" radiator.
I never used the ECP radiator, but they look really nice for the price.
If you want a stock appearing radiator, I can attest that Glen-Ray makes a great radiator, but they are expensive.
If using a mechanical fan, get the fan shroud. A stock type clutch fan seems to work better than most flex fans.
If you are thinking of using electric fans, it is more involved and expensive than you might think.

And a 318 with a 26" with AC can still not be enough for Arizona. Glen-ray did not put the "extra duty" core in the one I bought from him and I can't drive it in town when over 100F. Bob told me to send it back and he will but the core with 2x the tubes in it, I spent a lot of money for the radiator and heater core so I would not have to worry about cooling and he wants to make it right. His comment he has seen every once in a while a block that the casting must just be out of kilter enough in flow restrictions to need a bit more radiator and of course mine is the once in the while exception.... He has lots of 318 radiators running around Arizona with the core I have and they work just fine.

Do you have an automatic transmission? Replacing and plugging the oil cooler with an auxiliary tranny cooler may help take the load off the radiator, don't know how much.

I had a 22" radiator replaced with a champion 26" radiator. Driver side hole lined up drilled 2 holes for passenger side very easy I run a mechanical fan no clutch stock plastic mopar shroud. South Texas hot as hell twice the humidity my 383 runs @ 160 degrees 170-175 in traffic. This was inexpensive i was willing to spend $$$$ on cooling but a 200$ radiator and a 30$ fan was the best fix for me

I would get the 26". Member 69GTX has brackets so it will mount up to the 22" radiator support. Give him a shout. But.....modding the 22" pass yoke to 26" is straight forward if you go that route. Only the pass side gets swapped out but I believe you can mod a 22" support to work.

26" support is spot welded in...
20160810_122609.jpg

I had a 22" radiator replaced with a champion 26" radiator. Driver side hole lined up drilled 2 holes for passenger side very easy I run a mechanical fan no clutch stock plastic mopar shroud. South Texas hot as hell twice the humidity my 383 runs @ 160 degrees 170-175 in traffic. This was inexpensive i was willing to spend $$$$ on cooling but a 200$ radiator and a 30$ fan was the best fix for me

What model did you order, thinking of doing the same on my 383.

IMO- do what 'purple' says & cut the support bigger. That's what I did, you don't have to go clear to the maximum edges; mine probably has 1/2-1" of sheetmetal still covering the core.

Don't remember model # Champion 3 core 26" Give them a call they will send right one. I tried a 22" champion ran about 190 degrees called Champion said i would like something "cooler" They shipped 26" replacement NO EXTRA CHARGE I returned 22" can you believe that. Good people easy to work with and honest

I would get the 26". Member 69GTX has brackets so it will mount up to the 22" radiator support. Give him a shout. But.....modding the 22" pass yoke to 26" is straight forward if you go that route. Only the pass side gets swapped out but I believe you can mod a 22" support to work.

26" support is spot welded in...
View attachment 444640
Hello Mr. threewood the brackets 69GTX builds are they bolt on or weld on. I would like to his setup Mine was way too simple I need something to do haha

Hello Mr. threewood the brackets 69GTX builds are they bolt on or weld on. I would like to his setup Mine was way too simple I need something to do haha

They were brackets that bolted up, no welding.

I knew it was only a matter of time before I needed to address my radiator, the factory 1968 small block 22" radiator isn't up to par with my .030 over 383..... I've been looking at the ecp 2 1"tube units. I'm torn between the 22" or the 26" ... I do have future plans for a/c install. The front support opening is only 22.5"wide, with a 26" radiator that would leave 1.25" on each side of the radiator covered. Would that honestly make that big of a difference ? I do Have a factory 26" shroud and will be running a 7 blade fan with HD clutch. The 22" would be a direct drop in but I don't have a shroud and would that be enough for a warmed up big block with a/c ??

You might have already pulled the trigger on this but the ECP 22" is what I went with for my '62 with a mild 440.

Back when I ordered it they sent me two! I told the UPS driver to send one back. Notified them that they sent two and I'm sending one back and the guy didn't even say thanks...

The way that they box them up could be better. I had some fins to straighten out. The right side bracket is short but the bottom hole on that side does line up with an existing slotted hole in the support.

I bought a 17" steel fan blade and had a fabrication shop make me a fan shroud to my specs. I'm useing a stock 8 blade water pump. I also spaced the top of the radiator in towards the engine about 1". That helped with the top hose fitment and it is more true with the fan blade/shroud placement.

Did the "break-in" last week, 20 plus min. @ 2,000 rpm and the temp never went over 180*. That's what thermostat I installed. I also added a bottle of "Kool it" additive.

Two days later I fired it up again to set the timing and tune the carbs. It seemed to take forever to get it up to 180* but eventually it did and again it never went over 180*. I'm also useing non ethanol, 91 octane.

This radiator seems to be doing its job and it's priced right...

20170629_202114.jpg

20170709_212459.png

20170701_001643.jpg

20170701_001624.jpg

looks like I've missed some replies, thanks to all ! The car is an automatic trans. I debated replacing the core with the right one, cutting the hole bigger, or just leaving it be. If I did anything I might cut the hole bigger and attempt to mirror the factory bend on the edge. Honestly not in the mood to to any metal replacing ! I have not pulled the trigger yet but it's gonna be the ECP one and I'll paint it black to it's not super obvious. Again thanks to all for replying, I hope to order this week and get back on the road !

To Kryslerkid, than fan shroud looks pretty damn slick ! I like !
Thanks 65!
I would have made it myself if I still worked where I used to. I just drew up a sketch and had a local shop do it for me. It cost me about what the reproduction two piece ones are going for. I was tired of trying to find something that worked.

20170710_093154.jpg

I found it pretty tight between the pump and radiator for a clutch assembly so I went with this blade. It really moves some air and you can't beat the price. Well made too.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-17317

Thanks 65!
I would have made it myself if I still worked where I used to. I just drew up a sketch and had a local shop do it for me. It cost me about what the reproduction two piece ones are going for. I was tired of trying to find something that worked.

View attachment 444863

I found it pretty tight between the pump and radiator for a clutch assembly so I went with this blade. It really moves some air and you can't beat the price. Well made too.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-17317

Show us how you keep that nice setup so nice and clean kid..... or maybe not.....

Auto Transport Service
Back