• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

240 rear gear

gdking11

Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what i need to be concerned with when changing a standard 79 8.25 2.40 rear gear to 4.56? Thanks

a 2.4 rear gear? im pretty sure the highest was a 2.76 ,but any way i would be looking at an 8 3/4 for that kind of ratio. 8 1/4 rears are not exactly the greatest for performance . i didnt know you could get a 4.56 ring and pinion for an 8 1/4

No, there was the 2.45 ratio,.

The carrier will need to be changed to a carrier from a higher gear ratio, the 2.76 carrier will do. However,a new suregrip unit is around $300 IIRC, or last I seen.

I do think that is what I said, read the above post. ;)

why are you wanting a 456 gear. are you building a door slammer cordoba? wheres the pics

79 magnum...oval track car. Can't get quite enough revs with gear ratio. i'll see what i can do about pics

Main thing to worry about is ending up in the back seat after you romp on it the first time after the swap. :headbang:

I just got my 'Doba back today from having gears installed. I purchased a used sure grip including 3.90 gear set off ebay. It reall y has made a big improvement. I had 2.7 gears original. Now to make this wretched 318 breath...

100% agree with SUPER77SE 8.75 is the way to go just get rid of 8.25.
And besides when you will want to change gears for different tracks it is a real breeze just swaping the center section.

Auto Transport Service
Back