• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

295x65x15s on my 1965 Belvedere

well i drive n beat this machine any time any where when i can afford the fuel , lol . and run it at the strip as i drive it of course less the front rubber n rims . we used to just drag it , but that's not that much fun , but driving this twin fours mw rb wedge with 4.56 ls rear gear is just to much fun .

05190027.jpg

05190025.jpg

@dvw thank for the tip on moving the spring hanger against the frame, what do you do about the flange that it sits against on the frame, i plan to weld the bottom of the hanger to the frame but it will have bout a 1/16th gap. I think you posted how to deal with that but i can't find it right now :(

Got home from work and got stuff apart fast.. so glad i had anti-seized it when i put it together.. now everything has a nice silver glow :) Getting the front bushing out of the spring took almost a hour which sucked though..

P.S. glad i have a '62 housing, that little extra space is nice.. give me plenty of room on the outside
2024-03-01 18.17.04.jpg

okay , but what about the centering bolts on the springs and the shackle mounts . your twisting the square of the leaf springs in board on the front , what is the plan for the rest of the springs , sounds like a lot more needs to be done . and if you going to move the springs , just go to the in frame set up and gain more room for your rear rubber . if you can weld it shouldn't be a big deal . that's what was done to my 63 and we never looked back from that move .

Scan0048_0048.jpg

Fury.png

Scan0047_0047.jpg

okay , but what about the centering bolts on the springs and the shackle mounts . your twisting the square of the leaf springs in board on the front , what is the plan for the rest of the springs , sounds like a lot more needs to be done . and if you going to move the springs , just go to the in frame set up and gain more room for your rear rubber . if you can weld it shouldn't be a big deal . that's what was done to my 63 and we never looked back from that move .

View attachment 1619054

View attachment 1619055

View attachment 1619056

I am cutting the perchs off the axle and putting on new ones in the proper position, and the front of the spring is only moving in about 1" it has pretty much no change on the rear shackle.. What i like is that it puts the spring more in line with the car instead of spreading out toward the front.

P.S. also didn't want to go into the frame if i didn't have to.. this way it's barely a change from stock and i will never need or want bigger tires, so win-win :)

@dvw thank for the tip on moving the spring hanger against the frame, what do you do about the flange that it sits against on the frame, i plan to weld the bottom of the hanger to the frame but it will have bout a 1/16th gap. I think you posted how to deal with that but i can't find it right now :(

Got home from work and got stuff apart fast.. so glad i had anti-seized it when i put it together.. now everything has a nice silver glow :) Getting the front bushing out of the spring took almost a hour which sucked though..

P.S. glad i have a '62 housing, that little extra space is nice.. give me plenty of room on the outside
View attachment 1619035
It's been long enough I don't remember. By the picture I believe I can still see a corner of the flange. So it was just left there. For sure you could grind that flange off. Then run a bead of weld in the corner. Temporarily bolt in the hanger and clamp it tight to the frame. Then mark the hole thru the hanger on the frame using the spring hanger hole. Now remove the hanger and drop rill it before welding. The hole in the outer fail only needs to be large enough for a socket.
Doug

20230407_143502.jpg

20230407_143551.jpg

20230407_151832.jpg

20230407_151851.jpg

Last edited:
It's been long enough I don't remember. By the picture I believe I can still see a corner of the flange. So it was just left there. For sure you could grind that flange off. Then run a bead of weld in the corner. Temporarily bolt in the hanger and clamp it tight to the frame. Then mark the hole thru the hanger on the frame using the spring hanger hole. Now remove the hanger and drop rill it before welding. The hole in the outer fail only needs to be large enough for a socket.
Doug

View attachment 1619438

View attachment 1619439

View attachment 1619440

View attachment 1619441

Ahh yeah i see the space in yours, perfect.. i will just make sure the flange is as flat as can be (grind any weld sticking up) and go against it and weld the bottom of the hanger to the frame. Planned to clamp the hanger in place, mark the hold to drill in the frame, easy :) thanks much for the tip!

BTW.. i'm surprised you put the bolt head facing out, i planned to do the nut out cause i can easily see me dropping the nut inside the frame :)

Actually... thinking bout it, i might just weld the spring eye nut to the inside of the hanger before installing it, then i wouldn't need to drill a hole in the other side of the frame..

You dont even need the flats on the nut. You could grind the o.d. of the nut down, need a smaller hole in the frame, and on only one side.

You dont even need the flats on the nut. You could grind the o.d. of the nut down, need a smaller hole in the frame, and on only one side.
Grabbed the plasma cutter and made a perfect hole for it.. passenger hanger done and perch cut off the axle... took 2 hours just for that... movin slow.. triple checked it all ahead of time though..

Still not happy with my welds.. i used to weld for a living but on my own **** i rush.. plus i'm too lazy to replace the .023 with .030..

Man i am sore and tired.. got it all done today, been a long winter of sitting on my butt.. everything went well til i put tires on, somehow i have about 3/16th less clearance on the drivers side than passenger.. i thought i was being smart by doing the passenger side first and keeping the drivers side bolted in so the axle wouldn't move. Wheels feel like they are in the same place in the body though. just weird.. i'm too tired to measure **** now.

i have bout 3/8 on the drivers side and maybe 1/2-5/8 on passenger side..
1709511532124.jpeg

Plenty of space in the wheel lip though...
1709511572901.jpeg

Keep in mind that the tolerance back then wasn’t the best when they built these cars.

Keep in mind that the tolerance back then wasn’t the best when they built these cars.
Yeah, i'm kinda hoping the car wasn't built right and it wasn't my fault :) But i'm sure it was me... i'm hurting sooo bad today.. laying in bed for 5 months then up and down off the garage floor 1000 times yesterday...my whole body is sore.

i have about 3/16th less clearance on the drivers side than passenger.
Most all will find this. Either side. My 63 was tighter on the passenger side.

I had 3 cars in the shop 2 63's and a 65. Using the same wheel tire, all 3 were different.
Talking to Tom Hoover the father of the Hemi,he said when it came to chassis tolerance they were very strict.
+ or - 1 to 2 inches !! Joking of course.Realistic, Not many were exactly the same on either side.

Most all will find this. Either side. My 63 was tighter on the passenger side.

I had 3 cars in the shop 2 63's and a 65. Using the same wheel tire, all 3 were different.
Talking to Tom Hoover the father of the Hemi,he said when it came to chassis tolerance they were very strict.
+ or - 1 to 2 inches !! Joking of course.Realistic, Not many were exactly the same on either side.
haha well... that makes me feel better :) I was like... No way i can mess this up! Then i put on the tires and i'm like WTF!... i swear no matter how hard i try i can't do anything actually nice :)

Auto Transport Service
Back