• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

295x65x15s on my 1965 Belvedere

OldMoparsRule

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
I have been wondering about tire size and what is the biggest that will fit on a 65 Belvedere. After reading so many comments about 255's being the biggest, with an occassional 275 being the biggest, I decided to find out for myself. I did find 2 posts of people that fit a 295x65x15, so that was my goal.

Here are my photos of that tire (Mickey Thompson 255508 - Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S Tires) mounted on 15x8 with 4.5 inch backspace rims (Wheel Vintiques 63-5812042 - Wheel Vintiques 63 Series). The previous owner of my car rolled the fender lip, but I am sure they would fit even it the lip was not rolled.

Now I need to finalize the fronts....

Hopefully this will help someone who is wondering if these tires would fit.

Back of fender.jpeg

front of fender.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Rear 2.jpeg

rear driver.jpeg

Thank you for this. I have owned several early "B's" and only went with 275/60/15 as the largest.
As well known, no two cars are the same so there will be many + or - to make things fit.
Very cool.

That's a pretty tall tire. Is the rearend moved back?
I've got a 10.5x28 slick on my 62, but the rearend is moved back an inch.

I have 295 60 d151s on a 68 barracuda , all in the fenders , 8 1/2'' wheels...
The springs have settled "caltracs" , the tires are up even with the inside of the rolled lip now ..

thumbnail.jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

I am not positive on the rear axle placement, but I am pretty sure it is in the stock location. In looking at the tire in the fenderwell, I do not appear to be at risk for rubbing anywhere...unless I go autocrossing with the Mickey Thompsons... ;-)

Thank you for this. I have owned several early "B's" and only went with 275/60/15 as the largest.
As well known, no two cars are the same so there will be many + or - to make things fit.
Very cool.
I think the backspacing is key for this tire. the 15x8 with 4.5 inch backspacing puts the tire right in the middle of my wheel well. I have also ready that the Mickey Thompsons measure out different than other tires, so that could affect things. You are 100% right though, no two cars are exactly the same, so it may take some figuring. I saw a few other 65 Belvedere's running this size, so I knew I could make it work. I wanted to get the tallest tire I could on the back to mellow out the 4.56 gears, and because I like the look of these old cars with tall tires on them. I hope this will help someone.

Agree on backspace. It's critical to get the bs right if you want to run the most tire. My current setup is the old centerline autodrag 8 1/2 with 4 7/8 bs, but I need to use a .300 and .330 spacer, so essentially the same as yours.

think the backspacing is key for this tire. the 15x8 with 4.5 inch backspacing puts the tire right in the middle of my wheel well. I have also ready that the Mickey Thompsons measure out different than other tires, so that could affect things. You are 100% right though, no two cars are exactly the same, so it may take some figuring. I saw a few other 65 Belvedere's running this size, so I knew I could make it work. I wanted to get the tallest tire I could on the back to mellow out the 4.56 gears, and because I like the look of these old cars with tall tires on them. I hope this will help someone.

You sure helped me out! I have a 64 Sport Fury, running a 426 Wedge, Hemi 4 speed, Dana 60 with 4:10's. I have used up the tires and need new ones. I am running the stock rear wheels that have been widened to 10 inches. I will buy the Mickey Thompsons that you are running. For the front, I am running a set of stock-size vintage Craigers. Any tips on the size of the front tires?

You sure helped me out! I have a 64 Sport Fury, running a 426 Wedge, Hemi 4 speed, Dana 60 with 4:10's. I have used up the tires and need new ones. I am running the stock rear wheels that have been widened to 10 inches. I will buy the Mickey Thompsons that you are running. For the front, I am running a set of stock-size vintage Craigers. Any tips on the size of the front tires?
Better double check the backspace on those custom steelies.

I am so glad this has been helpful, that was my goal! Your car sounds awesome!

I am planning to go as tall as I can on the front. I have a set of 28x7.5x15 Mickey Thopmpson front runners that I have ran in the past. I like the height, but they did not seem "sturdy" enough for the local Nashville pothole roads. I like to drive this car, so I dont want to sacrifice any driveability.

I am also trying to decide between black painted steelies to match the rear, or the Torque Thrust front rims. I am going for the 60's Super Stock look.

I am in the middle of a cosmetic restoration of the Sport Fury. I stripped it down to bare metal and am going back to the original Ruby Red. I got a little carried away with my 1975 Harley.

drag pipes 002.JPG

ipad 001.JPG

I am so glad this has been helpful, that was my goal! Your car sounds awesome!

I am planning to go as tall as I can on the front. I have a set of 28x7.5x15 Mickey Thopmpson front runners that I have ran in the past. I like the height, but they did not seem "sturdy" enough for the local Nashville pothole roads. I like to drive this car, so I dont want to sacrifice any driveability.

I am also trying to decide between black painted steelies to match the rear, or the Torque Thrust front rims. I am going for the 60's Super Stock look.
Tall as you can, on the front? I'm running 235/75x15s on a seven inch TT2 rim on the front of my 62. 29" tall. BUT! A previous owner relieved a whole bunch of metal at the front of the ww opening. And they will rub on both sides on the header tube that comes out thru the inner fender.

Tall as you can, on the front? I'm running 235/75x15s on a seven inch TT2 rim on the front of my 62. 29" tall. BUT! A previous owner relieved a whole bunch of metal at the front of the ww opening. And they will rub on both sides on the header tube that comes out thru the inner fender.
235x75x15 is actually the tire size I am considering. My headers are Dougs that are 100% under chassis. I dont have the tube sneaking through the inner fender. My 28" Mickey Thompsons did not rub, so I think I should be good with the 235x75x15. I am pretty sure I will go with the Torque Thrusts, but I have a few different sizes of the original steelies.

I read in some of your older posts that you have a few front wheel combos. I would love to see pics of that tire on your car, and your front wheel combo if you have any handy.

Thanks for your insights!

I am in the middle of a cosmetic restoration of the Sport Fury. I stripped it down to bare metal and am going back to the original Ruby Red. I got a little carried away with my 1975 Harley.

View attachment 1479589

View attachment 1479597
Excellent combo! I am a big fan of both of them! I just sold my Harley. It also had custom paint, and never got lost on bike night.

IMG_9682.jpg

235x75x15 is actually the tire size I am considering. My headers are Dougs that are 100% under chassis. I dont have the tube sneaking through the inner fender. My 28" Mickey Thompsons did not rub, so I think I should be good with the 235x75x15. I am pretty sure I will go with the Torque Thrusts, but I have a few different sizes of the original steelies.

I read in some of your older posts that you have a few front wheel combos. I would love to see pics of that tire on your car, and your front wheel combo if you have any handy.

Thanks for your insights!
Dusty in the garage, and a poor camera in my tablet, but this is what I got. The daisies will NOT be used. The rears have too little backspace to put a decent tire on and clear the fender. I want tall fronts and short fronts , depending on if I'm redlighting at the track, or not

IMG_20221129_125403.jpg

IMG_20221102_084720.jpg

IMG_20221102_091414.jpg

IMG_20221102_095623.jpg

Dusty in the garage, and a poor camera in my tablet, but this is what I got. The daisies will NOT be used. The rears have too little backspace to put a decent tire on and clear the fender. I want tall fronts and short fronts , depending on if I'm redlighting at the track, or not

View attachment 1479706

View attachment 1479707

View attachment 1479708

View attachment 1479709
Thank you for posting these pics. I really like your car! Now, I have to add another car to my bucket list.

I really like the first picture with the steelies and the hubcap. What size was that tire?

Thank you!

Last edited:
This is the look I am going for with the front tire size. I cannot tell if these are drag racing front runners, or tall and skinny street tires. Anyone know what size these may have been?

Cali Flash Vintage.jpg
Steve Bagwell Vintage.jpg

i have a '65 coronet with 15x8/4.5" backspace torque thrust and 275-60's. my comfort level ends here. the top of the outer wheelhouse can be a problem area when trying to run a near stock ride height.

Thank you for posting these pics. I really like your car! Now, I have to add another car to my bucket list.

I really like the first picture with the steelies and the hubcap. What size was that tire?

Thank you!
If I remember right, they are 225/70x15s on a six inch rim. I'm a long ways away from those tires at the moment. 255/70x15 on the back, on 15x8 ramcharger steelies, for a street setup. (67 barracuda caps).

Auto Transport Service
Back