• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.55 Gears $100+shipping for 489 Case 10-Spline Pinion

PurpleBeeper

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
SOLD (SORRY IF I POSTED IN WRONG FORUM...my mistake) I have a good used set of 3.55 gears from a 489-case 8-3/4" rear end. They have the stronger 10-spline yoke pinion. $100+ shipping.

3.55 Gears PicA.jpg 3.55 Gears PicB.jpg

Last edited:
Pm sent

How common is the 10 spline pinion?

What is the impact- do I need a 10 spline yoke?

Yes, you need a 10-spline yoke. I only found this out myself about a year ago since I didn't realize there were two different splines. From my online research, it seems that the 10-splines are stronger vs. the "more splines" (whatever that number is) and I equated this to the 18-spline "hemi" A-833 input shaft vs. the 23-spline input shaft....bigger, deeper splines being stronger seems reasonable to me anyway.

usually not the case as the root of the splines is larger diamater with more splines
think axles- more splines is usually better
Idk why diff would be different
listening

usually not the case as the root of the splines is larger diamater with more splines
think axles- more splines is usually better
Idk why diff would be different
listening
Hmmm.....now you've got me wondering. I see your point. But, as I mentioned the 18 vs. 23 spline trans input shaft. Maybe more/less splines on something vs. strength depends on where the part tends to break??? For the trans, I "think" a weak link might be the hub of the clutch disc itself? I imagine the splines as stripping if you dump the clutch on a high HP engine (never seen it).

I have broken a rear end yoke, but never stripped one. Now, I'm not sure. If they don't strip/break, regardless of spline count, maybe it doesn't matter?

Has anyone ever broken the nose off of a pinion gear??????

Auto Transport Service
Back