• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 Bad Water Pumps in 4 months???

FWIW--my flowkooler pump leaked out the weep hole in less than a year.
But, since you seem to have a repeat issue, how's the alignment between the water pump pulley and crank pulley? Needs to have less than 1/16" or .0625" alignment difference between groove centers.
Also, make absolutely sure the vanes/ rotating parts aren't contacting the inside of the pump housing at all...some pumps need a slightly thicker gasket to avoid any internal rubbing. Beyond that, if your belts are the proper tension, you could very well just be having a run of bad luck with junk pumps.. try a different brand.

When I removed the 3rd waterpump this am, I noticed this 'grooving' where the impeller looks like it's contacted the front block housing (whatever that's called) **see pic attached. I figured this was from when the first new water pump impeller came loose from the shaft on the inside. Is this anything I should be concerned about. All the pumps have spun freely by hand prior to firing up the engine so I don't think the other impellers were touching this inner wall. Opinions? I have ordered a FlowKooler pump that will be here tomorrow. I plan on pouring some waterpump seal antileak fluid on it during assembly. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I believe the fan pulley and crank pulley are both straight and true, but will keep an eye on them.

HCvisct%StiA51AwN+HJwQ.jpg

I would bet your 1st guess was correct. A bad batch of recon water pumps making their way through napas system.
It happens, ps pumps , alternators , ect ect.
The old bead blast and rebox rebuild. Sucks.
I use napa myself for many parts, hell next week it could be Advanced or Autozone going through it.
I would just use a different automotive and grab a pump. Also while you have everything apart check your fan over good,
out of balance , ect may be wiping out the pumps.

A bad batch. Maybe, but "Rob" at NAPA here in Sioux Center was upset that I was asking for a refund rather than a replacement. He said, "So I'm just out the $70 for the pump then??". I responded that this car has had 3 NAPA water pumps all go bad over the past 4 months. Am I out the time/frustration/work in installing and uninstalling them? Is here going to give me a new tube of RTV ultra gray? Then he shut up. If you don't want to have returned parts, then don't sell crap. And after I've gone through 3 water pumps, don't tell me your whoa's. I don't think we'll be 'bffs' anymore. :(

I just hope this FlowKooler is up to the task.

Just a thing to remember, parts houses are the same as food markets. They don't make the food/parts, they sell them. Just like the car dealers don't build cars, they just sell them, and sometimes try to fix them. The NAPA guy is pulling your chain. If he is a NAPA company store, he gets full credit back for the defects. If he is an independent store he may not. In either case that is what the warranty is for and at least here in California you can apply for a labor claim to replace a defective part from most Major Parts houses. They just don't volunteer that information to you. I know that GMB manufactures water pumps for Milo-Don and their standard pumps were not a quality product at least when I retired from the Auto repair business back in 2007. We had good luck with Dura-last, Air-tex pumps. Remans done properly are as good as new because the wear parts Are new. Only the housings are recycled and as long as they are not damaged, they don't wear out. Every company in the world, regardless of type of product has defects. Only God is perfect.. Contrary to popular belief, things weren't perfect in the "old days" either. We worked on our cars All the time. Constant maintenance was required. Todays' car owner doesn't realize how easy he has it now.

Just a thing to remember, parts houses are the same as food markets. They don't make the food/parts, they sell them. Just like the car dealers don't build cars, they just sell them, and sometimes try to fix them. The NAPA guy is pulling your chain. If he is a NAPA company store, he gets full credit back for the defects. If he is an independent store he may not. In either case that is what the warranty is for and at least here in California you can apply for a labor claim to replace a defective part from most Major Parts houses. They just don't volunteer that information to you. I know that GMB manufactures water pumps for Milo-Don and their standard pumps were not a quality product at least when I retired from the Auto repair business back in 2007. We had good luck with Dura-last, Air-tex pumps. Remans done properly are as good as new because the wear parts Are new. Only the housings are recycled and as long as they are not damaged, they don't wear out. Every company in the world, regardless of type of product has defects. Only God is perfect.. Contrary to popular belief, things weren't perfect in the "old days" either. We worked on our cars All the time. Constant maintenance was required. Todays' car owner doesn't realize how easy he has it now.

Well said....and I agree.

2012 is the last time I had to replace the w/p. Bearing went bad and would screeech. It never leaked. I always use the aluminum housing and the hd A/C pump and it id overdriven also.

8.7.12 008.jpg 8.7.12 009.jpg 8.7.12 010.jpg 8.7.12 011.jpg 8.7.12 012.jpg 8.7.12 013.jpg 8.7.12 016.jpg

Well, it’s done! FlowKooler is going on. At least I’ll be able to find pretty blue aluminum impeller pieces if it’s scraping somewhere?!?

5F859C75-1274-4563-9A41-31E96D5E6EBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Just an update. It's more than 2 years later (12-8-22) and the FlowKooler is still going strong. I only drive the car about once or twice per month, but no problems with new water pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back