• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing engine from 360 to 440

SilverBack67

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Good evening my name is Erick and I have a 1967 Dodge Charger. The original engine was a 318 but someone swapped it for a 360 before I owned it. My question is if the 440 was an option on the car when it came out, would I just be able to swap a 440 into it? Or would I need to do other modifications to it. Thank you in advance for your help. This is my first project so I am learning as I go.

Engine is bolt in with correct mounts but
transmission must be changed as it is wrong bolt
pattern

Most likely you have a 8.25 rear dif, if you just plan on cruising the car the rear dif will hold up, but any hard starts/burnouts it won't last long. A bigger radiator and shroud may be required to keep it cool. Torsion bars are different, but just for cruising, the ones you have should work for awhile. You may need a different driveshaft, the 727 trans is about 4 inches longer than the 904, if the car came with a 904, if it came with a 727 no worries.

Mark

Chargers didn't come with 8.25 rears so you should be good.
Find a 440 complete with trans and have at er

Most likely you have a 8.25 rear dif, if you just plan on cruising the car the rear dif will hold up, but any hard starts/burnouts it won't last long. A bigger radiator and shroud may be required to keep it cool. Torsion bars are different, but just for cruising, the ones you have should work for awhile. You may need a different driveshaft, the 727 trans is about 4 inches longer than the 904, if the car came with a 904, if it came with a 727 no worries.

Mark

No 8 1/4 in 1967.

The car should have an 8 3/4, which will be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back