• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Crankshaft Stamp ID Help?

Only thing I've managed to find is a forged marine 318 crank - any thoughts about if it's the right thing?

Forged? And what is maged?
It is a cast as it is the original one from the matching 70 Swinger 318 it came from. Maged is Magnuflux Magnetic Particle Crack Inspection

Crack Detection/Magnaflux
Due to the age and stress of most engines the Magnaflux method is utilized to identify cracks in cylinder heads, engine blocks, connecting rods and crankshafts as well as other components of the engine that need to be checked.
The Magnaflux process utilizes an electrical current to produce magnetism in the part being checked, a solution containing iron powder is flowed over the part. The components having been magnetized will draw the iron powder to the void area "crack" . Utilizing the ultraviolet black light clearly shows the flow "crack".
The Magnaflux process is a critical step many cracks would otherwise go unnoticed, particularly cracks in parts such as crankshafts. Cracks in crankshafts are often not visible to the naked eye.

Only thing I've managed to find is a forged marine 318 crank - any thoughts about if it's the right thing?
Lord only knows what differences a marine crank might have.

It is a cast as it is the original one from the matching 70 Swinger 318 it came from. Maged is Magnuflux Magnetic Particle Crack Inspection

So this brings me to my initial question - can I put a cast 318 crank in my engine? A forged 318 crank is what was in there originally. My mechanic seems to insist it be a forged crank, but I'm reading on the forums that you might be able to swap them.

Auto Transport Service
Back