• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Poly Headers - Worth it?

66 Sat

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a rebuilt 318 poly in my 66 Satellite. It was a performance oriented build, .bored 060", some head work, decent cam, 10.5:1 compression, 4 barrel 600 Holley on a factory 4 barrel manifold, windage tray, electronic ignition, 3.23 gears, 727 auto. It goes quite well, but I'm wondering if a set of TTI headers will really open up the breathing? It has the factory log manifolds into a dual system at the moment. The headers are quite expensive, plus I would need to buy a mini starter and 90° oil filter adapter. I don't want to lose the bottom end torque which is quite decent, but would like some more power across the rev range. It runs out of breath at about 5250 rpm at the moment.
Has anyone got real world experience of the difference these headers make to a 318 poly?
In hindsight I should have stroked it as that was the plan with Gary Pavlovich, but in the end I went the simpler route as I wanted to finish the car and costs were escalating (usual story...).
Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
Not yet, I was planning on emailing him in the morning. I wanted other opinions too as I know there are some very knowledgeable folk around here.

The heads have more potential. My friend built a Poly with a LA stroker kit and the AirGap alum intake, he's running the TTI's. Torque curve is big and flat and around 450 ft/lbs. I say go for it, but you might need a 625 or 650 cfm carb.

With what you have done to your Poly so far I would say headers would help. What you have to ask yourself is how much do you spend for 30 or 40 horse. Is $1000 worth it.

Stock 2 barrel, so I can't speak to performance, but it sounds great and I didn't need a 90 filter.
When I got mine they didn't offer their top of the line coating on their website, not sure about now, but call and request it.

20190511_155121.jpg

No need for a 90* oil filter adapter unless you want one. Yes the TTI's are worth the money. I went with the complete exhaust on a stock internal poly with a 600 Edelbrock and a Weiand intake. Just those few items really woke the poly up.We also built a 390 stroker poly and it will run with any big block.
TTI makes good stuff.
IMG_1429.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I think I really need to try the headers, they are just so expensive once shipping to Australia and fitting is taken into account (plus the mini starter). I'll just keep saving....
If I do end up pulling the motor back out in a few years to stroke it, I'll need the headers then anyway so it won't be wasted money.

Depending on the cam 5250 rpm might be it even with headers.
You could also try an H-pipe.
What mufflers do you have?

Yeah I think the cam is limiting the revs, it tops out at 5,200rpm from memory - it's specs are 258/.462 214@ .050 110 LC, solid lifters. I went with this cam because I wanted to keep the stock converter and I had a Weiand 7503 manifold on the car which has very poor low rev response. I've since changed the manifold to a factory 4 barrel which is way better down low.
I've got a h-pipe fitted and the mufflers are straight through, no brand from the local muffler shop.
Don't get me wrong - the car drives great, sounds great, and probably has enough performance for the chassis as it is. I'm just never satisfied and love playing around trying to add performance. If I had a 500hp hemi I'd be looking for 550hp...

I went with the mirror image right side manifold and scratch built system on my 65 2Bbl poly.
Mike
IMG_1973.JPG

should of told you the motor i'm running a 318 this is what i'm wanting headers for in the 65 sat thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back