• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 J heads vs 318

I dont think there is a difference in 318 360 exhaust manifolds. From what i have read the swirl heads are preferd
Hummm, I think that may be true in the smog years! LMAO!
As I said above, here it is again, I never measured or cared since headers get the job 99% of the time. Yes, there are ways to make HP with exhaust manifolds but currently I’m not interested in figuring that one out.

LMAO! Contact the F.A.S.T. guys.
But I’m not sure there going to talk because there a bit like another NHRA race class that will never tell you how they did anything with there stuff.

In low po engines, I would t worry about it.

Be interesting to see what heads, cam, and compression the engine has.
As mentioned, airflow is the major factor in making power.
Changes in static compression ratio make the engine more efficient and also changes the dynamic compression ratio (assuming no cam changes). The dynamic compression ratio, or compression ratio calculated from the intake valve closing point will change the cranking and low end cylinder pressures, and that helps determine the engine low end torque and give a rough estimate of fuel octane requirement.

Lots of variables and unknown parts.
Oh yes! Indeed!
That was the quick, 5 in the morning answer. Since we really don't know any specifics about the engine, Normally the 318 head will have a smaller sized combustion chamber than the 360 head, which would result in a higher compression ratio than the 360 head with all other variables being the same.
It’s only 2:17 am now for me. I normally work the midnight shift. So yup! This be early.... but I aim to fix that ... this week at least... LOL!

And yes! Correct! I’d like to know more about this “Mystery” 360. Not just what it has now but where the OP would like to do with it or the goal in mind. What year Belvedere and what trans, rear gear, stall converter changed or is it OK to change it for the future?

Have you installed the engine. I just noticed it was from a truck. Your going to have to change out the rear sump oil pan and truck engine mounts.

I have a 1978 360 engine I just put in my Belvedere. It has 318 heads on it. Is there an advantage to putting a set of 1974 360 J heads on it? There is a guy on craigslist selling a pair fresh from the machine shop for 200 bucks.
I’d have to say this would be a double win if the heads are good. When you swap the heads around, find the thinnest head gasket you can. If possible, can you measure how far down the piston sits in the cylinder? Find the casting numbers on the 360 head. I can find out (or should be able to) the amount of cc’s the head started out with. Speaking of which, can you cc the head?

IF you are so inclined to do a cam change while your doing the heads, now is the time.

Have you installed the engine. I just noticed it was from a truck. Your going to have to change out the rear sump oil pan and truck engine mounts.
And oil pan pick up to suite the car oil pans different sump location!

These 360 threads make me want to dyno test the 360 RV engine that used to be in the RamCharger. It has been sitting in the corner of the shop for a few years now.

Wow! A year now?!?!
These 360’s can make some really nice street power. The draw back? B bodies are a little weighty and even a big-ish diet may not be enough to really get going FAST! But a nice Performer they certainly can be. I would never down size from a RB or stroker B/RB. Unless mileage was the goal.

I’m going to lighten up my Magnum some. There’s a few parts out there to help the odd ball car. I already have a 5.9 in it. My last 360 Magnum got 20 hwy. with hwy. gears. Loved it as my daily driving commuter. 25 miles each way.

I’ll pull a valve cover and get the number. This is just a fun car show car (not a racing setup), so it might not even be worth the trouble. I️ will say that my 318 exhaust manifolds match the ports on these heads. The ports on the 360 heads are larger therefore the 318 manifolds are too small. Thanks for all the input!

Someone/somewhere on a forum said the intake manifold mis-match is no big deal because the intake charge is sucked in (like a vacuum cleaner) and not pushed in from the outside (like a blower). I don't know if that theory is more "correct" than what PurpleBeeper stated in post #4 or not. Just a thought.

This is a good point and an interesting way to look at it. I don't have any good data, so I will defer to rumblefish. I see what you're saying though.

As a teenager, I did put 360 heads + 4bbl. on a 318 and I "thought" I was going faster. I never did it the other way around + I've "heard" that the newer "magnum" 318 heads are better than the old LA motor 318 heads....that's all I've got.

I put 340 heads (open chamber) on a 273 bracket racer (full competition Isky camshaft) and it ran slower. Shift points were 6000 RPM with it hitting 6400 RPM at the trap/end (108 MPH). Used an Edelbrock Tarantula with Holley 600 CFM double pumper on both combinations.

65 Valiant5.jpg

I put 340 heads (open chamber) on a 273 bracket racer (full competition Isky camshaft) and it ran slower. Shift points were 6000 RPM with it hitting 6400 RPM at the trap/end (108 MPH). Used an Edelbrock Tarantula with Holley 600 CFM double pumper on both combinations.

View attachment 540030
I could see that happening.

This is a good point and an interesting way to look at it. I don't have any good data, so I will defer to rumblefish. I see what you're saying though.

As a teenager, I did put 360 heads + 4bbl. on a 318 and I "thought" I was going faster. I never did it the other way around + I've "heard" that the newer "magnum" 318 heads are better than the old LA motor 318 heads....that's all I've got.

I do not have hard data like IQ52 does. I did the 318-360 head swap decades ago. The seat of the pants said more power.
As far as the mismatched ports are concerned, depending on the builds power level, I wouldn’t worry about it. But there is significant power to be found by ether porting the intake to match the heads or the head to the intake. But again, this amount is a variable as build combinations are almost endless.

Some will say it is worth it and others will disagree. Part of the issue is cost involved in the work to match ports Vs. the power return.

Speaking strictly on a 318, I wouldn’t use a 360/340 head on it unless it was reasonably cammed and had some decent gears to back it up. A stock or very mild cammed engine (IMO) will do just fine with 318 related parts.

Speaking strictly on a 340/360, I wouldn’t use 318 heads on it ever unless it was all I had and have zero money.

A larger intake (340 ports) on a small port head (318) is OK for general useage. I wouldn’t bother trying to make a Performer out of it. Being the heads port window gets in the way of the incoming air and fuel charge, it does crash into the head. It’s a wall. And the fuel just starts to gather, then puddle in. This is crappy for low speed driving. An engine likes a fine well mixed up charge at idle & low speeds.

To nut shell it, if your going to build something for any type of performance, do it right and don’t skimp. You will be a world ahead and way happier.

On a B body, I would only enhance a 318 for minor power and mileage concerns as the B body is a bit large and weighty. If it was in a lightened A body, you could have some fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back