• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

361 rocker shafts

Snowtrooper1966

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
And with this prophetic post:

make sure you get the rocker shafts on correctly and pointing the correct direction..otherwise you will be pulling these heads off again.

oil holes point down & towards the exhaust

I heard this when parking the Charger last week:

[video=vimeo;87237744]http://vimeo.com/87237744[/video]

Turns out mech I had hired to bring the Charger back to life was not as good as I thought. When I had read Bryan's post above in my survivor thread, I thought to myself, no worries, this guy has a great shop where he fully restores cars. I'm sure he knows how to read a manual:

manual.jpg
image004.png@01CF2E66.64B6B0B0

So towed the Charger home from work and off came the valve covers:

wrong.jpg

Sure enough, they were on upside down. Called mech up, and he said he could come by and have a look, since he was relocating his shop and I had it apart at home already.

- - - Updated - - -

He did not show up before I went to work, so Mrs.Snowtrooper started it up for him and I grabbed this image from vid she shot. hard to tell from still image (I could only upload one vid per post) but oil was squirting up and falling on rockers for 6 & 8 cylinders only:

rearoil.JPG

His deduction was bad oil pump, and that it prolly had roasted some valves, cam and lifters. Gonna be in the ballpark of 1K to repair. (What he told the wife)
Kinda crazy, when it was clearly getting oil.

Reached out to A383Wing, and with his gudance, just rotated the rocker shafts. Presto! all rockers getting properly oiled as they should:

IMG_5352.jpg

After going through the drivers side, corrected same mistake there. Put it all back together and fired her up.
Goodbye sewing machine, hello big block!

I did not, and have not yet mentiond to him, that in my opinion, any damage from "lack of oil" would likely be the result of his half assed installation of valve train. I will be holding off on that conversation until I can fully ascertain any damage to engine.

I need to publicly thank A383Wing for going above and beyond. Without his help I may have been desperate and gullible enough to take it back for a 2nd round with the sub par mech.....

Last edited:
Now you need to take those pictures to the so called "mechanic" and educate him !!

You can see the 'shiny' on the shaft from the wear on the rockers so it should have been a no brainer that they were on upside down. Also, keep in mind that rockers, shafts and push rods are also a wear item. If a shaft looks good, I'll polish it and if it looks really good, I'll reuse it but other than that, new ones go on any engine I'm rebuilding.

Good save. Also make sure the mechanic didn't mix up the right and left rockers.

Auto Transport Service
Back