• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 down to a 318 swap?

rumblefish360

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm helping a friend with his '73 Charger. He wants to build his 383. While the car is still needed, we have on hand a 318.

Any issues with this temporary swap and the K frame/engine mount issues?

I thought for sure there was a K-frame issue was with the location of the motor mounts. I have run into someone that says No, it'll drop right in.

I know about the tranny, radiator etc issues ahead. It's just this motor mount issue in the K-frame! Will the 318 just swing right in?

a BB in a SB K member will sit approx. 1" back but will bolt up with minor changes. I would expect the SB to sit a little forward in the BB K member, but not enough that cant be made to fit. I would just drop it in, start the bolts in the tailshaft , and see where it falls in the cradle , and work the mounts to fit. I just went through this doing the opposite. some say it will drop right in, but it did not for me. just watch where the oil pan meets the K member and make sure you have clearance.

Last edited:
exhaust, accessory mountings, radiator, (hose connections may be on wrong side), trans is different, drive line may be different length....plus other items.

then there is the $$ & time to swap everything back

gonna be a lot of $$ and time involved for the swap....maybe find another running 383 and put that in place of his or just build it and leave 383 in there....

That sounds crazy to me. 318's are excellent engines but replacing a 383 with one will be very disappointing in every aspect. I am pretty sure a 383 is not an original power plant for a '73 Charger. A 383, 400, 413, 426 Wedge and a 440 would be a direct bolt in as long as you have the proper balance required parts to make the change proper. Other than shipping charges I have extra big blocks that i am never going to use and I am sure you can find a good running one in your area that would be cost effective and fill your needs as opposed to the money you will have to spend to to make the change to the small motor.

a BB in a SB K member will sit approx. 1" back but will bolt up with minor changes. I would expect the SB to sit a little forward in the BB K member, but not enough that cant be made to fit. I would just drop it in, start the bolts in the tailshaft , and see where it falls in the cradle , and work the mounts to fit. I just went through this doing the opposite. some say it will drop right in, but it did not for me. just watch where the oil pan meets the K member and make sure you have clearance.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

exhaust, accessory mountings, radiator, (hose connections may be on wrong side), trans is different, drive line may be different length....plus other items.

then there is the $$ & time to swap everything back

gonna be a lot of $$ and time involved for the swap....maybe find another running 383 and put that in place of his or just build it and leave 383 in there....

Thanks, as I said earlier above, I got all that on the differance's on the part issues. It was just the L-frame issue I asked about.

As of now, I finally convince my friend to look for another 383/400 to do since it will be a simple swap of engines.

- - - Updated - - -

if it is a 904 , the driveshaft will be 4" too short, but uses the same mount, different yoke. a 727 will bolt right up using the BB driveshaft.

This was one of the factors I was telling him. He would need to go out and get a 727 just to start. Figure $1200 for the trans, $200 for a cheap verter and the extra coin for the flex plate and fluids coupled with a driveshaft, heck, without the driveshaft it is a $2500 expense.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds crazy to me. 318's are excellent engines but replacing a 383 with one will be very disappointing in every aspect. I am pretty sure a 383 is not an original power plant for a '73 Charger. A 383, 400, 413, 426 Wedge and a 440 would be a direct bolt in as long as you have the proper balance required parts to make the change proper. Other than shipping charges I have extra big blocks that i am never going to use and I am sure you can find a good running one in your area that would be cost effective and fill your needs as opposed to the money you will have to spend to to make the change to the small motor.

With the exception of mileage, I agree though you can only less the horse to water, not make it drink the water. The horse now drinks the water.

I wonder what shipping would be to 11720? I'll PM you in a minute...

Auto Transport Service
Back