• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 HP ex manifold removal

northerndave

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
Howdy folks, I know they are just exhaust manifolds so it should be easy but I'm thinking I will be removing my exhaust manifulds from the 383 in my 69 RR this weekend and I've never done it before so any pointers or tricks will be appreciated.

I'm planning on dropping the coolant, assuming I will lose coolant through the bolt holes?

Also any tips on reinstalling would be great (hardware, thread dope, seals, gaskets) what ever you have collectively found to be best practices for non leaky manifolds.

Thanks!

Dave

Draining the coolant is a good idea. You will still get some coolant to leak out no matter what but with drained coolant it wont be a river pouring out on you. I would use a good penetrating oil on the nuts and soak them a few days before you try to remove them. I have on more than one occassion thought I was loosening the nuts only to realize I was twisting the damn stud off instead. Now that is good times. Soak the bolts that hold the pipes to the manifolds as well. I won't really comment on putting them back on but rather defer to someone else. I normally only take them off to replace with headers. Proper nut/bolt torque obviously and the correct gasket would probably take care of things. And most likely just like headers you may want to revist the torque on the bolts after a couple hundred miles just to be sure.

Oh yeah...one last thing....NEVER use an 8 point socket to take them off...always use a 6 point.

Thanks.

yeah the only thing I'm really worried about is removing the bolts/studs without breaking them

No gaskets were used from the factory since these were both machined surfaces and presumably flat, so make sure yours are still flat!

I used gaskets on mine only because after 1000's of heat cycles I can only assume the surfaces are no longer 100% flat.

Auto Transport Service
Back