• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Wheel Line Lock

Yeahrightgreer

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys will say just get a trans brake but between my new 512” RB build I don’t have too much funds to spend on a brake. Plus I like idea of reduced shock on the driveline since it’s already preloaded - especially since I haven’t upgraded to a Strange 60 rear just yet. I know that locks on the rear brakes are outlawed in some divisions but this is mostly gonna be a no prep, grudge street racer so not too worried. By the time I’m messing with the NHRA i should have a brake by then.

I plan on having a 2 switch setup.

Switch 1 will be toggle switched linelock just for the front wheels for burnouts.
Switch 2 will be a momentary switch for all 4 wheels, and wired into my 2 Step w/ a 3000 RPM chip. The 4 wheels should be able to hold the car till about 3500

Do any of you use a 4 wheel lock? I know some guys do and have had great success but I know some guys talk about the lock not being able to release pressure as fast as foot braking. Opinions?

Last edited:
hope someone replies since I never knew there was a 4 wheel line lock.

Won't you need two linelocks?
I think the four wheel locks were outlawed by nhra because guys without transbrakes (Or classes were t-brakes were not allowed) were using them with delay boxes. If you are not gonna run nhra, then......?
Personally, I don't know if the linelock release is as fast as a footbreak, but a linelock would allow you to do what you want with the two step.
And get a dana before you get a brake!

Won't you need two linelocks?

Yes I would have to run 2 separate line locks. I already have one set up for the front and would just have to add one for the rear but not quite sure how to add it with the proportioning valve to be honest.

And get a dana before you get a brake!

You’re telling me! It’d be a bad day for my little 8 3/4

hope someone replies since I never knew there was a 4 wheel line lock.

I’ve only heard a few guys over on Moparts mention it and a guy on the FABO forum who uses it successfully at the track but have never seen one work or heard real world experience

Power the rear from the front switch so both are off when front is off

I tried it back in the day. In a word, bad. It reacted way to slow. I've been a foot brake guy ever since. You don't need a trans brake to be competitive. I race a few classes against trans brake cars with success.
Doug

What stall converter are you using?

I’m using a 4500

I tried it back in the day. In a word, bad. It reacted way to slow. I've been a foot brake guy ever since. You don't need a trans brake to be competitive. I race a few classes against trans brake cars with success.
Doug

Was it slow from your reaction to the switch? Or it just taking too long to release pressure? It’s good to hear you can be competitive without a trans brake

I was a foot brake guy when trans brakes got popular, but that was mated to delay boxes. I stayed very competitive with foot brake. I put in a Griner brake & just didn't comfortable, back to foot brake. A line lock on the rear is one more variable to screw you up.

I’m using a 4500

Was it slow from your reaction to the switch? Or it just taking too long to release pressure? It’s good to hear you can be competitive without a trans brake
The brakes were slow. Went on to win 2 championships and 2 runner ups in N/SS foot braking that car. My R/T average for the last few years is .028.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back