• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 dual horn air cleaner help

midnightrider1818

Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
ok, i have got a dual horn air cleaner. originally off a 400 with dual horns. this air cleaner has two doors on the horns with vacuum diaghrams above them with rods running too the doors. i was wondering if if i run a vaccum line from the one door to the other door and tee off and run to the manifold or carburetor or what ??. a picture would be great. also what are these doors for ??

The doors are part of intake air pre-heat system. The left snorkel has a hose fitting that connects to a heat stove mounted to the driver side exhaust manifold. A temperature sensor/vacuum valve mounted to the lower rear of the air cleaner and controls flap function. During cold start/run manifold vacuum was routed to the snorkel flap diaphragms to close them off and forcing air to be drawn from over and round the left exhaust manifold. When the engine reached operating temp. the flaps would open and close off pre-heat air at the same time. Manifold vacuum is connected to one side off the sensor, with the diaphragms teed together and connected to the second nipple of the sensor. As the original carburetor calibration was leaned out to help with tail pipe emissions, the pre-heated intake air helped considerably with overall cold running drivability.
If you are not running factory manifolds with a heat stove, having them work as designed is of little use without a source of pre-heated air when cold.
KGrHqZhQE6Z0GGyeBBOsJ7iKM1g60_12.jpg

Last edited:
aircleaner.jpg

Clarification; the actuator on the right snorkel, dual snorkel air cleaners, is teed to manifold vacuum source and is closed except under low vacuum conditions, hard acceleration.

Auto Transport Service
Back