• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400B to 500 stroker opinions

The EDE Performer RPM heads would be very good with a 500 motor. Seems like a flat top piston works with these at about 10.5 CR. That works fine with good 92 fuel. Mid 550 ish cam, you will go like mad.

I’m a fan of the 4.250 stroke kit. I’ve also built the 4.150 kit but it just makes more sense to get away from the Big Chrysler rod ends. I run a 400/511 in my street car. Gets driven/hammered frequently. They do need good heads to feed them. There is no way I would buy parts the required me to run the E head when the TF is in the same ball park price wise and is such a better head. that’s starting from a clean slate with no parts.

42C5EA28-BA77-40EE-81A2-C16D77AF1BDE.jpeg

C0ACF2AF-8998-4C40-B357-9D9B1C4B37A8.jpeg

I agree with 68 HEMI GTS. As an ex Chrysler engineer once said, “If you build a big engine and use stock heads on top, you might as well have stuck with the smaller engine...” and , well, I’d bet it would run nicer with better mileage. Basically, if your going to build it big, stay with the program and go big.

The Edelbrock heads are a choke point on a big engine. The Trick Flow heads are a better value price and performance wise. And there still a choker on top of 500 cubes. As far as full potential is concerned. But perform it will.

A smaller engine would be more efficient and still effective. But do not let me dissuade you from a 500cid. A 451 is just a few cubes larger then a 440 and will perform a little better having a light weight rotating assembly. A 470 (30 cubes greater than the 440) will show a gain. and yet again with a 500, with supporting parts. If the parts don’t support the cubic inch gain, the returns diminish, and rapidly.

AndyF built a 470 B engine that whipped out quit a punch producing well over 700 hp.

My 512 is a 440 block. If I did it again, probably use a 400 block. The longer stroke sure seems to be a good thing. You sure do need heads to support the cubes.

Auto Transport Service
Back