• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

408 stroker cooling issues

I am
With a 50/50 mix of glycol and a 16 lb cap, that's not that hot. I've mentioned the virtues of a thermostat with a larger opening, like the EMP/Stewart from Summit. Flow through an 1 7/16" opening is tremeandously better that the 1 1/8" opening on a Stant.
I am running the Chrysler radiator fluid recommended by blueprint engine. No 50/50 mixture

I actually own a BluePrint 408 stroker engine, so I can speak from experience.....unlike others who are discussing builds by others.
What temps was your engine getting up to? I am not driving aggressive or racing, just typical cruising around

What temps was your engine getting up to? I am not driving aggressive or racing, just typical cruising around
I got it up to 202F in medium density traffic......during a parade a couple of years ago it hit 212F ....but on the open road I runa round 178-183F

Bear in mind I have a Dodge A100 - not the most efficient for air flow to the radiator.

My opinion is that you don't have a problem. If it hit 212* or so with the outside temperature +-100* you are still about 50* from boiling over! As was said, new engines always run hotter until they're broken in. Sure, double check that the thermostat opens on point, that the timing is correct and the plugs look good. Take it out in the evening or morning when it's cooler and see if the car runs cooler, like it first did. Also, you really have to watch the ratings on fan CFMs. The highest ACTUAL rating I could find was a Summit dual 12" set-up with shroud for my 26" Griffin radiator and it is 2600cfm. I tried many mechanical fans (even the 7 blade Mopar 18") and the Summit ones cool my 446" the best. Again, try not to throw a bunch of money at a perceived problem. Keep driving it...

My opinion is that you don't have a problem. If it hit 212* or so with the outside temperature +-100* you are still about 50* from boiling over! As was said, new engines always run hotter until they're broken in. Sure, double check that the thermostat opens on point, that the timing is correct and the plugs look good. Take it out in the evening or morning when it's cooler and see if the car runs cooler, like it first did. Also, you really have to watch the ratings on fan CFMs. The highest ACTUAL rating I could find was a Summit dual 12" set-up with shroud for my 26" Griffin radiator and it is 2600cfm. I tried many mechanical fans (even the 7 blade Mopar 18") and the Summit ones cool my 446" the best. Again, try not to throw a bunch of money at a perceived problem. Keep driving it...
Verified the thermostat opens as it should and observed coolant flow within radiator. I have a 16" puller fan, the highest 12" fan I found pulled a little over 2000 cfm. There is a dual 12" fan setup that will pull a mid-4000 cfm with shroud.

Think of this, you have 26 inches in front where air can get in, and it has to leave trough a 10 inch hole, partly obscured by the fan.
your shroud sits as i can see from the pictures , almost firm agains the radiator. This will never work.

Auto Transport Service
Back