• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake fit issues Trick flow 270 to Indy single plane

Heads are sitting higher and the intake is setting lower without head gaskets. Installing head gaskets is going to raise the heads further off the deck face and drop the intake down even lower.
I should've looked closer at the pic. It was on my phone. I assumed the intake was too high. It still needs head gaskets installed before deciding on intake gasket thickness.
Doug

I should've looked closer at the pic. It was on my phone. I assumed the intake was too high. It still needs head gaskets installed before deciding on intake gasket thickness.
Doug
It seems to be sitting low. Head gaskets won’t help the problem. Im assuming this was probably milled unfortunately.

If the intake has been milled, some spacers will make it fit. Glue them on the intake and use regular manifold gaskets.
Mike

If the intake has been milled, some spacers will make it fit. Glue them on the intake and use regular manifold gaskets.
Mike
Yeah some sort of steel shim. Just need to mock up to do an accurate measurement of thickness.

It seems to be sitting low. Head gaskets won’t help the problem. Im assuming this was probably milled unfortunately.
Adding gaskets will raise intake. Have you measured intake as 68 Hemi GTS asked? I'd put shims on china wall front and back until bolt holes line up. then measure the head to intake distance (make it the same both sides!) put shims between intake and heads. Check port alignment. If intake ports are above head ports reduce shims. If intake are below head ports add shims. When they line up that tells you what thickness the COMPRESSED THICKESS of intake gaskets should be. So you'll need to add gasket THICKNESS to allow for gasket to compress. Don't forget to add more gasket thickness when you add head gaskets. You may need a metal spacer with gaskets on both sides,

Some are not seeing what I am. Look at the pics in post #1. The top of the intake is perfectly lined up with the extended intake bulge on those heads. I will bet the ports in the intake also line up with the ports in the heads. Either the holes in the intake or the head have been incorrectly drilled. Easiest fix is to elongate the intake holes. Use washers to cover the holes. Adding the h/gasket will only make a small difference because of the intake face angle on the bb.

Hopefully Geoff is right and the ports are correct and some elongation of some holes will work. Take a marker and draw some lines out on the top of the port on intake and head and come around the front of the intake so you can see them. Then compare to where they meet up w the intake on.
If you need to raise the intake these thicker gaskets can be the ticket. We are running some .120 thick on a b engine.

Screenshot_20230805_063938_Chrome.jpg

Some are not seeing what I am. Look at the pics in post #1. The top of the intake is perfectly lined up with the extended intake bulge on those heads. I will bet the ports in the intake also line up with the ports in the heads. Either the holes in the intake or the head have been incorrectly drilled. Easiest fix is to elongate the intake holes. Use washers to cover the holes. Adding the h/gasket will only make a small difference because of the intake face angle on the bb.
Think you have a point.

I see what you are thinking. But that may not mean anything as you are comparing an Indy intake casting to a Trick flow casting. Simple test is a gasket. If it fits the intake and head correctly and the holes are lined up correct its going to be a bad mismatch due to the intake surface being machined. Also raising the heads with a gasket is going to make a big difference and it will be clearly obvious. Poster wont know until he does some mock up. Sure shims and thick gaskets might patch the problem. However if it was mine I would swallow the olive and get the right intake and sell this one.

Any idea what’s going on here? Stock 400 block with maybe a light pass over the deck when the machine work was done. Brand new trick flow 270s and an Indy 400-2 single plane. The mounting holes look considerably off.

I don’t have the head gaskets or intake gaskets on. It’s just mocked up. What’s going on here?

View attachment 1502838

View attachment 1502839

View attachment 1502840

View attachment 1502841
You can use a tape measure to see if the intake manifold flange measures 1/2 inch.

Last edited:
Per the Harbor freight digital caliper, the outer flange is around .273”. Looks like it was indeed milled unfortunately.
At least you have some good numbers to go on if you decide on spacers. A set of gaskets designed to work with a stock valley pan should work just as well on a properly sized spacer.

Going by post #12 the original size was .493 - .273 = .220

If it was me I would look for a used unmolested Indy dual plane intake instead.

Last edited:
Do u guys actually think it could be milled that much? If so wouldn’t the block have to be milled a hundred thou or so? I really can’t see that. Show us a pic of the intake flanges. Kim

Do u guys actually think it could be milled that much? If so wouldn’t the block have to be milled a hundred thou or so? I really can’t see that. Show us a pic of the intake flanges. Kim
Look at post#12.

The quickest way to verify the intake was milled is to add .220 spacers to the 4 corners and see what it looks like. Appears there is a valley pan in place so the Chinese Walls shouldn't come into play. The least expensive way is with a .220 shim & gaskets on either side but the best way to resolve the issue is to buy a new intake & sell the one you have to offset the cost of the new one. My choice would be to buy the new one. No muss, no fuss, move on, but that's just me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There is no point in shimming the intake 0.220" to make the mounting holes line up......if the port openings do not line up.

What is important is the port alignment & that is the FIRST thing to check. Everything follows from that....

The quickest way to verify the intake was milled is to add .220 spacers to the 4 corners and see what it looks like. Appears there is a valley pan in place so the Chinese Walls shouldn't come into play. The least expensive way is with a .220 shim & gaskets on either side but the best way to resolve the issue is to buy a new intake & sell the one you have to offset the cost of the new one. My choice would be to buy the new one. No muss, no fuss, move on, but that's just me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yes, I agree a new intake is best. Hopefully he can return the intake to whoever he bought it from. Kim

Cometic can make intake gaskets up to .125 thickness.
That being said, I have the same intake on my 440, and it looked like that when I mocked of the parts, however I had my block decked again to get to zero deck and the intake fit alot better, personally, I think Indy designed this intake around a heavily decked block and possibly milled heads too.

Anyway, I no longer need the .125 thick intake gaskets I had made, I can get away with some .060 gaskets now.

Auto Transport Service
Back