• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake fit issues Trick flow 270 to Indy single plane

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Any idea what’s going on here? Stock 400 block with maybe a light pass over the deck when the machine work was done. Brand new trick flow 270s and an Indy 400-2 single plane. The mounting holes look considerably off.

I don’t have the head gaskets or intake gaskets on. It’s just mocked up. What’s going on here?

C0790B87-0CFE-49AF-AB46-0F53D2804BB7.jpeg

A22C8C88-B41F-44F8-9D54-59159A4D3881.jpeg

1887EB5C-63A7-4922-82AF-88C0C4287755.jpeg

08C2676E-7AFE-4532-BCD2-63D1DF6AF40D.jpeg

Try a different manifold on. That should tell you what the trouble area is.
Mike

My bets on the intake. It has been milled. Its just going to get worse. As said try another intake.

Just try any low deck intake to see how it fits. Can be iron. That will confirm the fitmen
Looks like the intake has been milled
Well, if I have to buy another…should I stay 4150 pattern or go 4500? I have both carbs. It’s a street strip build. Probably mostly street, but it’ll see the track for sure.

Yup, that is called poor machining/quality control.

I'm pretty happy with my Indy dual plane ported to match my 270's, i run it with a 1"spacer, no problem with hood clearance. Made 531 hp at the wheels with a 850 d.p. (630 at the crank).

I had another look at the pics in post #1. I think the manifold is the correct width & the ports will line up.

What is out of whack are the holes: either in the head or intake. The holes in the intake can be elongated with a file & it will probably fit ok.

I had another look at the pics in post #1. I think the manifold is the correct width & the ports will line up.

What is out of whack are the holes: either in the head or intake. The holes in the intake can be elongated with a file & it will probably fit ok.
Not if it has been milled. It will be worse when he puts the head gaskets on. Slotting the holes is a hack fix.

Indy had 4500 base, Max Wedge port single plane Low Deck manifolds in stock earlier this summer. Might be worth a call to see if they are still available. I also have a Trick Flow Track Heat 4150 base manifold that the runners have been opened up to fit 270's TF heads for Low Deck motor, I think I also have a Offenhauser 4500 base low deck manifold that the ports were opened up.

Post #1. No head gaskets installed. Heads set lower. Intake fits higher. How can fit and quality be condemned if we don't even know what gaskets will be used?
Doug

Post #1. No head gaskets installed. Heads set lower. Intake fits higher. How can fit and quality be condemned if we don't even know what gaskets will be used?
Doug
Heads are sitting higher and the intake is setting lower without head gaskets. Installing head gaskets is going to raise the heads further off the deck face and drop the intake down even lower.

A couple cheap .040 headgaskets and some washers on the 4 corners of the intake to start measuring

Auto Transport Service
Back