• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

424 Small Block on the dyno.

So the windage tray/scraper was good for about 8 hp?
Yeah, that was peak to peak. I did forget to mention that in the area of 6,000-6,600 rpm we had some increases of 14 hp.

Everybody likes easy horsepower!

Stout small block stroker, for sure :thumbsup:

Time to put it into the car. Two best runs today were 618 & 620 horsepower.

10.83 comp., and iron heads, w/ 91 octane. u gonna have to keep the timing down ??
I constantly fight this iron versus aluminum crap.

It is the shape of the combustion chamber, not the material the head is made of, that effects the timing.

We ran 32 degrees total with the aluminum head and 32 degrees with the iron.

Yesterday I disconnected all of the dyno except for enough to spin the engine to do compression and leak down testing before installing the engine in the car. It's when we discovered that we didn't have full throttle on the last day of testing. The secondaries were closed off enough it would have made a power difference. 620 HP on partial throttle? Now we'll never know if it may have done even more with the 1.6 rockers and the lash adjustments. Playing with the lash I could make 20 lb-ft difference at lower rpm's and and 3 or 4 HP difference in the 6,000 rpm range. Ah well.

Last edited:
IQ52/Jim
what's it going in ?

should do well, especially with full throttle :BangHead:

It's going to light the streets on fire...........a '67 Dart. 3.91 gears and a 3,500 stall.

It's going to light the streets on fire...........a '67 Dart. 3.91 gears and a 3,500 stall.
Should haul *** :thumbsup:
nice lighter car, 620+hp {more to come} good gear & converter
get her to hook, should be fast

Last edited:
Wow! that means all said and done , with some fine tuning you are probably talking close to 600 at the wheels soon without a bottle on pump gas with a small block! God love ya man! that's awesome!:thumbsup:

Jim isn't 20% the usual number that people say you lose at the rear wheels with an auto?

It has a forward shift manual valve body, 245 55R15 tires, 3.91 gear and 3,500 stall. Cody took it out for quick test and said he could leave it in third, pull away from a stop and drive around never using 1st or 2nd gears in the transmission.

40 or more dyno runs to 6,600-6,700 rpm and it took him less than a day to bend an exhaust valve. 2% leak down in #2 cylinder when we installed it, and it came back the next morning at 55% leak down.

It looks like we're going to get to dyno test it at full throttle.

Someone needs a rev limiter...........

Someone needs a rev limiter...........
Oh yeah? Ya think? I told him it wasn't leaving here again without one. We also have the okay to install a MSD programmable 6AL-2 and a crank trigger this time around.

If we had put a cam like this in yours and did this much fiddle-farting with it, it would be making 700 HP.

Awesome numbers! I was expecting mid to low 5s... Obviously it's a killer combo but just out of curiosity why didn't you go with more lift in the cam ?

Awesome numbers! I was expecting mid to low 5s... Obviously it's a killer combo but just out of curiosity why didn't you go with more lift in the cam ?
Well it is supposed to be a street car. At full valve train load it has .644" lift with the 1.6 rockers. That is all the lift I wanted this engine to use on the street. That and the heads begin to stall at .650" lift.

Auto Transport Service
Back