• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi engine questions

Did you measure compression distance? Those things look absolutely buried in the bore.

Here's mine for comparison.

Charger-5.jpg
IMG_8073.jpg

Last edited:
just a quick update, pistons were direct connection forged 12.5:1 pistons. They were milled to reduce the ratio. The rods are factory hemi rods 6.860. Stroke is standard 3.75. So apparently this is where these pistons were supposed to be in the bore at tdc. I'm having a cylinder head chamber cc'd and also a piston dome cc'd to get me the as built compression ratio. I'll go from there. Cam will be replaced as it measured after the ratio at only .450, really would like to go back to a solid lifter cam.
A .450 cam in a Hemi?? :wtf:

Picture of my piston, in bore. Have no idea what the comp might be, 10 ish? I am not a mathematician, just bought a set of Edelbrock Jr aluminum heads, they are 170cc chambers. Will just check valve clearance to piston and run it, it ran before on the street. New car to me, just a refreshen, with aluminum heads and replace the billet solid roller with a non billet hyd roller. Oh and replace the Nascar mismatched rods with H-beams and rebalance.

20231116_210600.jpg

Yes I have, will check that! I am at .070 overbore, 4.320, should help. I have read the product sheet for the heads.
Thank you!

Update, took short block and heads to Rogers Speed Shop in Garwood. I’ve known these guys a long time. I was trying to find something closer to home. As soon as Carl saw the pistons position in the bore he immediately said they must has been a stroker piston that direct connection made that are now mismatched on stock length Hemi rods.
Because all of this rotating assembly looks like it’s been through many hands I’m going to get a stroker kit from Hughes Engines, also going to get the camshaft and all associated components. These guys actually guarantee their camshafts against wiping a lobe as long as the valve springs , lifters and break in oil is all purchased on the same invoice. They have a big cam selection. So I’ll be building this as a 472 cid Hemi.

Auto Transport Service
Back