• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

H engine code in 66 was a 426 RB.
Not sure what you're saying. All 426 were RB.
Are there H cars with non hemi 426 RBs out there?
20230202_123953.jpg

Unless the Hemi was a K code which is special order.

426 Hemi is an H in 66. If it was a Hemi car built in November 65 then it would have two holes in the fender for HP2 emblems!
20230202_142952.jpg
20230202_150056.jpg

Last edited:
OP has a Coronet, though.

OP has a Coronet, though.
So would a coronet 440 have all 3 engine emblem possibilities on the fender?
I think that would tell us alot. Especially if it just had the 2 hole V-8 sign..

Im Trying to follow along but it's not easy.
Re read my 3 camps synopsis

There are no 'three camps'.

There's one camp looking at and going with factory documents. Apparently, there are about three of us in this camp.

What does the documentation tell us? What does the BS say? What does the fender tag say? Why does the VIN not reconcile with the other two?

Last edited:
There are no 'three camps'.
I agree, likely 2 camps if there's no starter relay bracket or associated holes to show it was a Hemi.

There's one camp looking at and going with factory documents. Apparently, there are about three of us in this camp. Everyone here is looking at the supplied documentation, as it's the core of this thread.

What does the documentation tell us? What does the BS say? What does the fender tag say? Why does the VIN not reconcile with the other two?Couldn't agree more!
The car came with an engine. So which one was it?

If they were to slide an RB in place of the B, it would not be difficult at the factory level. One thing that comes to mind would be the exhaust pipes.

So was it a car that started out on paper as a 383 car, became converted on the line to a 426 wedge car, and came out with a vin tag to show 426 inches? The 426 wedge on the BS would support that possible hypothesis.

But again yes, it may just be a 383 car with 426 wedge on the sheet, and 426 hemi on the tag.

I'd still like to see what was on the fenders for callouts. :popcorn:

The car came with an engine. So which one was it?

If they were to slide an RB in place of the B, it would not be difficult at the factory level. One thing that comes to mind would be the exhaust pipes.

So was it a car that started out on paper as a 383 car, became converted on the line to a 426 wedge car, and came out with a vin tag to show 426 inches? The 426 wedge on the BS would support that possible hypothesis.

But again yes, it may just be a 383 car with 426 wedge on the sheet, and 426 hemi on the tag.

I'd still like to see what was on the fenders for callouts. :popcorn:
Original fenders have been replaced too sadly, it has the fenders off of a Coronet 500 with 383 4 barrel badges (fenders do not have holes drilled for body trim like the rest of the car so this is my assumption)

Interesting WH23G on top line and I can't clearly read what is before 426 WEDGE on the bottom. What is on the top line should be a 361 car.
G is a 383 car

Original fenders have been replaced too sadly, it has the fenders off of a Coronet 500 with 383 4 barrel badges (fenders do not have holes drilled for body trim like the rest of the car so this is my assumption)
That sucks.

That sucks.
Very much. I found the original owner but sadly, he has passed so every bit of information I have is hear say. The original owners buddy says all his cars were bought from Mr norm, then again, this is all hear say. Don’t have the original fenders or original motor so it’s one big rabbit hole. In the mean time till I can figure something out we’ve got ourselves a cool can of worms lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back