• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Now it would be interesting to find out the configuration of the 66 426 Street Ram. Was it basically a carryover of the 64/65 426/365hp street wedge or was it a little different animal.

Now it would be interesting to find out the configuration of the 66 426 Street Ram. Was it basically a carryover of the 64/65 426/365hp street wedge or was it a little different animal.
I was wondering the same thing. They would have been dyno-tuned so that would add a little extra one would think?

I don't understand why they just didn't dump a C-body 440 into them, since they were special ordered, anyway. Maybe they were just using up leftover 426's, but the new 440 would have been more readily available.

I don't understand why they just didn't dump a C-body 440 into them, since they were special ordered, anyway. Maybe they were just using up leftover 426's, but the new 440 would have been more readily available.
Yeah, that would have made sense too. But did the 426 street wedges have hi perf goodies like cams and heads that were different?

Yeah, that would have made sense too. But did the 426 street wedges have hi perf goodies like cams and heads that were different?
The 426 Street Wedge was just a bigger 383, with same heads cam, and carb. It picked up 30 horses simply by displacement increase. The dual exhaust 1966 C-body 440 was rated at 365 hp., same as 426 Street Wedge, but had a little more torque, again, by displacement increase. The 1967 H.P. 440 picked up only 10 horses by virtue of better heads with bigger ports and exhaust valves, bigger carb, and longer duration cam. Was this engine under rated, or was the '66 engine over rated? I would expect 25 - 30 horse increase with these upgrades.

That is a great point.

We have had confirmation it was a Dyno Tuned car the only thing is we’re unsure what was done to it as the original owner never tore the motor down or really analyzed it

Onto the topic of the 426 over the 440 we’re unsure of that entirely and I believe that info may have went with Mr Norm to the Grave unfortunately

My theory is that if a buyer wanted a 426 Hemi for the 1966MY but couldn't afford one; yet still wanted/insisted on a 426, they got a Wedge, instead. The 426W was probably readily available to the assembly line, anyway. The 440 in 1966 was only on "C" and "D" cars, and those cars weren't built on the "B" lines/plants, to start with. So it would stand to reason the 440 would not have been used on, nor available on, '66 "B" cars.

Also the 440 had not yet made a name for itself as a performance engine, but the 426 had.

The 66 440 wasn’t considered a “performance” engine. It was a smooth torque motor for luxury cars

The 66 440 wasn’t considered a “performance” engine. It was a smooth torque motor for luxury cars
Well they did have the high performance 365hp TNT !
Think 300

I agree. They should have put all of the '65 street wedge parts on a 440 short block and offered that in '66. I doubt that they intended that the Hemi would take the street wedge's place since the Hemi was a very expensive option.

I can’t be sure but I strongly suspect the heads, cam, intake, manifolds, carb size etc were essentially the same for both the 1966 426/365 and the 1966 440/365 engines. There might have been a slight cam change. I think even the manifolds were pretty much the same for C and B bodies that year. That is unless Mr Norm installed hi-po parts on a stock 426/365 in their shop and called it a Ram 426.

Is there any record of a 1966 Dodge Coronet being sold with a 426 Street Wedge? I have a car (original motor long gone) where I found two build sheets under the seats, both saying it was special order 426 WEDGE. Looking for any info or confirmation.
The only record I have is my memory as a teenager in Chicago. My cousin bought one new from Mr. Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge. A light blue ‘66 Coronet 2Dr hardtop with a 426 street wedge and 727 auto on the column. My recollection is that he didn’t order the car, it was in Mr. Norms inventory at the dealership. A significantly less expensive high performance alternative to the 426 street hemi at the time?? Probably.

My uncle always called the 426 4bbl the Street Ram. Now I understand as he bought a 64 4 speed 426 4bbl from Mr Norm, and in 65 he bought a used 63 Max Wedge from Mr Norm. His last purchase was a 66 Hemi Charger from Mr Norm. I remember him talking about 66 426 4 bbl “Street Ram” cars and I always assumed his memory was wrong and they were 65s, butt obviously he was correct

Last edited:
My uncle always called the 426 4bbl the Street Ram. Now I understand as he bought a 64 r speed 4/6 4bbl from Mr Norm, and in 65 he bought a used 63 Max Wedge from Mr Norm. His last purchase was a 66 Hemi Charger from Mr Norm. I remember him talking about 66 426 4 bbl “Street Ram” cars and I always assumed his memory was wrong and they were 65s, butt obviously he was correct
It’s still wild how few people knew this existed and how fewer remember them

Good for you for your dogged detective work. The trail sure had a few twists and turns. You unearthed a little piece of of previously unknown/forgotten Chyrsler history. The racecar/Musclecar scene was evolving so quickly at Chrysler between 1964 and 1966 with different versions of the 426 Wedge and Hemi motors. It was obvious that Mopar was trying to satisfy all their customers who had the $$$ to play the game. This has certainly been one of the more interesting threads. I am glad it worked out for you with Forum member's assistance.

Good for you for your dogged detective work. The trail sure had a few twists and turns. You unearthed a little piece of of previously unknown/forgotten Chyrsler history. The racecar/Musclecar scene was evolving so quickly at Chrysler between 1964 and 1966 with different versions of the 426 Wedge and Hemi motors. It was obvious that Mopar was trying to satisfy all their customers who had the $$$ to play the game. This has certainly been one of the more interesting threads. I am glad it worked out for you with Forum member's assistance.
All the Help from everyone has been massively appreciated even the ones doubting us and driving us to get more proof

Auto Transport Service
Back