• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440/727 Parts Car vs Buying 440 Separately

RockyPat

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am interested in converting my 71 Charger 318/904 car to a 440/727.

I am looking at either buying a parts car complete with a 440 and 727 and all original accessories, or buying a 440 and 727 by themselves not in a car.

For example, I have found a 1974 Chrysler New Yorker for $1500 with a supposedly running 440 and 727 transmission with all original belt drive, accessories, etc. I would think that having a complete parts car to draw needed parts from would be beneficial and help save money, but the car would have a low compression 440. I could also sell parts off the car and maybe the body to recuperate some of my expenses. (Hopefully)

Or, I have found RV/later year 440s with 727 transmissions for around $600-$800 (engine and transmission both - $600 seemed like an unusually good price here in CA) with most of the accessories and presumed to be running. Out the vehicle.

Or, I can get a bare block with or without a crank, pistons, oil pan, harmonic balancer for around $150-$300. No transmission included with this option.

I have never done an engine swap before, and I know many of you have with countless avenues of doing so.

What option(s) would you guys recommend/not recommend?

Any other good options that I did not list?

Please point out any dumb thoughts/ideas in this post, as I am trying to learn.

Thanks everyone!

I would stay away from the Motorhome option. A lot of the time you will be limited as to what you can use and what will fit going into a car. Let alone the parts you really need. The car would be a way better option.

I would go with the car as well. I think it will save you a lot of time and money in the log run.

I'd consider building a 408 small block first.
Sorry I never go with the crowd...

You're going to find it easier going if you have a complete engine/trans combo. The misc stuff can drive you nuts. Low CR 440's are fine if you aren't going for a max race combo.
I would not consider the bare block idea. 45 years ago all the parts were easily available, not today.
A '74 New Yorker will not have a HP style 727. I presume that will have a 12" low stall convertor, the internal parts are different than the HP parts. Upgrading the convertor can make really big difference. Depending on your application & goals you can upgrade both the 440 & 727 as your money and ambition allow.

You won’t sell anything off of a 74 Chrysler. The motor mount brackets and exhaust manifolds won’t work, Kickdown won’t work, and all the belts and pullies may not work.

A whole car is fine, but a 74 is the wrong car.

I like to get a complete engine and go from there. There is a complete 67 440 for sale here for 1200 which seems fine. I’d rather have a steel crank 60’s engine than a 1974.

Plus this will save slot of time hauling a car, dismantling the car and getting rid of the car.

Parts car gets my vote. You will get pullies, brackets, kickdown linkage, motor mounts, fuel lines, carb, distributor.....etc. Otherwise it is a PITA trying to figure out all that stuff if you don't get it with the motor and acquiring the parts will nickel and dime you to death...along with shipping for getting all that stuff. In the end you will be money and time ahead by getting the complete package in the parts car.

I like the idea of a running parts car. Would be real nice to see and hear it running. If it runs good you can drop it in and run for a while if you're on a low budget. With the motorhome engine out and the bare block you won't know what you're getting until you take it home and tear it apart.

Find a complete earlier 440 and 727 and build that. Repro accessory brackets, manifolds, etc. are available. You wont be able to use much off that 74.

I would stay away from the Motorhome option. A lot of the time you will be limited as to what you can use and what will fit going into a car. Let alone the parts you really need. The car would be a way better option.
I have read that motorhome 440s do take some modifying/buying different parts to get it to work well with a car. Thanks for the insight.

You won’t sell anything off of a 74 Chrysler. The motor mount brackets and exhaust manifolds won’t work, Kickdown won’t work, and all the belts and pullies may not work.

I like to get a complete engine and go from there. There is a complete 67 440 for sale here for 1200 which seems fine. I’d rather have a steel crank 60’s engine than a 1974.

Plus this will save slot of time hauling a car, dismantling the car and getting rid of the car.
The seller said that he can deliver it for the $1500 price, and I could maybe even try to negotiate further. I completely understand what you are saying with the parts not being compatible and not being able to sell much off of the car. But, considering the price with the delivery, do you think it would be worth it? Considering the 67 440 would almost be the price of the car and I would get a 727 (not the HP version which I have learned.)

Find a complete earlier 440 and 727 and build that. Repro accessory brackets, manifolds, etc. are available. You wont be able to use much off that 74.
Are the earlier 440s that much better than a 74? The price on them is definitely higher.

Parts car gets my vote. You will get pullies, brackets, kickdown linkage, motor mounts, fuel lines, carb, distributor.....etc. Otherwise it is a PITA trying to figure out all that stuff if you don't get it with the motor and acquiring the parts will nickel and dime you to death...along with shipping for getting all that stuff. In the end you will be money and time ahead by getting the complete package in the parts car.
That is what I am afraid of. Needing to buy several little parts that will drive me insane! Lol

I'd consider building a 408 small block first.
Sorry I never go with the crowd...
That would be cool, but stroker kits are expensive themselves! If they were more affordable I would probably stick with the small block. This could be a bad way of thinking... I'm not sure.

ALSO, my uncle brought up using disc brakes off of the Chrysler if it has them and the BB radiator. Would these conversions work?

Thanks for all of the help. This site is amazing for an inexperienced person like myself!

For that price I would go with the complete car.
I found a 1970 383HP I am building and it had nothing in front of the timing cover and the time and effort to find all the correct pulleys and brackets, housings, alternator, fan,water pump etc. has been a challenge.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I acquired a complete "radiator to driveshaft" 440/727 from a '67 Imperial which I had transplanted into my '69 Sport Satellite. Coming from a C Body, the kickdown linkage was different, the 28" radiator was too wide, and there was a back-up light connector I had to order, but overall a much better way to go.

Excellent points here.
True...getting a complete parts car is a great idea IF that car is similar to yours. Otherwise, you wind up with a bunch of parts that don't fit your car and won't sell because who the heck is restoring a '74 Chrysler anyway?
The Chryslers all had A/C and that complicates the pulley arrangement. They all had 4 groove crank pulleys, some had smog pumps, I think the motor mounts are the spool type unique to the C body cars of that era BUT the oil pan is mid sump.
The RV 440s are okay once you strip off all the front accessories and the oil pan! Yeah....all their stuff is also unique to the RV applications.
I swapped a 440/727 into my '70 Charger in 2001. Parts weren't exactly falling into the bed of my truck bed then either. I bought a 72 Newport with a 400/727. That scored me some stuff. I got the alternator brackets and pulleys from self serve junkyards. You can get those from Bouchillon Peformance now.

Don't forget there may be transfer/title/dmv issues to deal with when buying a complete car. Personally I'd just get the engine, if you just need a core to build. You'll have to get a few more parts but you'll be doing that anyway...

You'd be better off if you found a 75-78 Cordoba or Charger. You're going to need either a big block K frame or conversion motor mounts, so one of those would be perfect for you. There's a better chance of finding a 400 car, but everything will fit a 440.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back