• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 AC to Non-AC - PS Pump Brackets Need to Be Changed?

Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
An easy one....

Subject is a complete stock 69 440 with AC set up. I am putting the engine in a car without AC. I know I need to change the crank and water pump pulley and alternator brackets. Will the AC power steering pump bracket work or do I need to change that too?

I have everything except the crank pulley and would like to order anything for the PS pump at the same time if needed.

It's been years since I did this, and my CRS has kicked in!

The PS pulleys might be different though.

That's good to know, but in my case, I have "used" original fan and crank pulleys, but the PS belt rubs on the fan pulley. I went through my stash and found a seemingly identical PS pulley, but it uses a narrower belt (15 vs 17 I think). It gave me just enough clearance to not rub (still very close though).
After 50+ years, the original pulleys could've been replaced and they don't have part numbers on them, so how can you tell if they're 69-71?

Pic shows the narrow pulley installed and wider pulley resting on top for comparison.

IMG_0684.jpeg

Last edited:
That's good to know, but in my case, I have "used" original fan and crank pulleys, but the PS belt rubs on the fan pulley. I went trough my stash and found a seemingly identical PS pulley, but it uses a narrower belt (15 vs 17 I think). It gave me just enough clearance to not rub (still very close though).
After 50+ years, the original pulleys could've been replaced and they don't have part numbers on them, so how can you tell if they're 69-71?

Pic shows the narrow pulley installed and wider pulley resting on top for comparison.

View attachment 1534979
The rub on the water pump pulley is perfectly normal. Do not worry about it.

Last edited:
I ordered a 2-groove crank pulley and I have a large selection of water pump pulleys that match my other non-AC big blocks. I guess we'll see how the pulley on the PS pump works out. Good thing I have all winter to get it done.

Auto Transport Service
Back