• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Engine in a 1962 Fury and which radiator is recommended

Chairman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a similar question on the correct radiator for my application. Bought a 62 Fury with a 1977 440 engine but the car was built with a 318 and the factory radiator is still in the car. I bought it and it wasn't ready to drive and I still haven't driven this car. The 440 engine, I was told is in very good condition and coupled to a 727 torque-flite. Now I am getting ready to install an Edelbrock 60929 RPM performer package with a Pro-Flo fuel injection system package. Running headers through 3 inch exhaust for more air flow. No plans on adding air but can anyone advise me on the correct radiator and thermostat? Factory water pump okay to use to? Also any issues encountered using a lower compression 440 with the Edelbrock Performer and fuel injection that I should be aware of?

If no a/c, a 22" radiator is more than sufficient. I've never had a small block, and I've "Never" been a numbers matching guy, so I can't tell you if there is a difference between a small block and big block 22" radiator. Personally for ease and knowing it's good, I'd get a quality 2 row aluminum 22" radiator that each row is at least 1". That would give an overall core thickness of 2.25" as there's typically .25" between the rows where the touch.

Thanks for sharing that information! These forums on this site have sure been a help to me...

If no a/c, a 22" radiator is more than sufficient. I've never had a small block, and I've "Never" been a numbers matching guy, so I can't tell you if there is a difference between a small block and big block 22" radiator. Personally for ease and knowing it's good, I'd get a quality 2 row aluminum 22" radiator that each row is at least 1". That would give an overall core thickness of 2.25" as there's typically .25" between the rows where the touch.
About the only difference in the 22" radiators is the lower hose fitting size to accomodate the smaller hose on a small block and larger on big block.

Okay that is an interesting point as I think the larger hose would also accommodate more cooling capacity, albeit only slightly but probably important for cooling... Thanks for noting this. I think we have an 1 3/4" outlet on the 440 and the current radiator is the 1 1/2" version.

Thanks for your response. I found a Champion 22 wide 4 row aluminum that was another recommendation and I will order it in. I will make sure to get a shroud and the proper fan.

Thanks for your response. I found a Champion 22 wide 4 row aluminum that was another recommendation and I will order it in. I will make sure to get a shroud and the proper fan.
Would not buy a 4 row. You will have trouble with the fan clearance. A good 2 row will pass more air and flow more water.

You already bought it, but there is a reason 2 row is recommended. 4 rows have round tubes instead of oval, less surface area for cooling. 4 rows have a very dense core and by the time the airflow hits row 3 n 4 it's heated up enough that it becomes less effective. Don't get me wrong, on stock engines, 4 row aluminum will work.

Not a recommendation, and definitely not "correct" but its what i have in my 440/62 savoy.....
I'm using a Cordoba big block high-intensity (more fins per inch than normal) copper/brass 26" radiator, matching (slightly modified) shroud, crank driven 18" plastic (power eating!)fan, small electric pusher to cool between rounds, and a trans cooler on the other side from the pusher, inside the should.
Yep, I cut up the core support cause this is primarily a drag car/toy, and I want it cool. Oh, 440 source aluminum pump and housing too.
Doing it again? I'd get a 31"two row aluminum, fabricate a shroud, and run a fan clutch and a stock seven blade. Lighter, more cooling, less hp loss to the fan. Win, win, win.

The supplier let me know that the 4 row was on back order so I was decided to go with the two row. However I still can't find a two row except for a 225 engine as I need the trans cooler fittings but that same supplier mentioned he had a 3 row with 3/4 inch tubes and I am guessing that might be an acceptable way to go. He said that he would guarantee I wouldn't have a heating issue. I still think I need to come up with a shroud and they couldn't help me with that. I should just buy one of those electric fan outfits but having trouble with the $1300.00 price tags and not finding 22 inch cores just 26's.....Thanks for the help and all of the assistance!

The supplier let me know that the 4 row was on back order so I was decided to go with the two row. However I still can't find a two row except for a 225 engine as I need the trans cooler fittings but that same supplier mentioned he had a 3 row with 3/4 inch tubes and I am guessing that might be an acceptable way to go. He said that he would guarantee I wouldn't have a heating issue. I still think I need to come up with a shroud and they couldn't help me with that. I should just buy one of those electric fan outfits but having trouble with the $1300.00 price tags and not finding 22 inch cores just 26's.....Thanks for the help and all of the assistance!
Using this two row in my '62 Dodge.

20170614_170915 (1).jpg

22″ Mopar BIG BLOCK HD Aluminum Radiator

That looks beautiful! And no doubt it works well for you as the shroud fits really nicely too. Thanks!

I'm sure he meant a two row aluminum aftermarket, not the itty bitty /6 radiator.
Edit: Cold case is a sponsor here, and i believe a member runs it (cant recall his member name). Give them a shot. (I would try for a 1"+ [1 1/2?] two row 22") Cold case might even have a shroud.

Last edited:
Seller on Ebay AUTOCITY1958 Has 8 for sale . Search this site for a fan shroud some one makes a fiberglass that could be made to fit. If you want a direct bolt in lots of luck.

Would not buy a 4 row. You will have trouble with the fan clearance. A good 2 row will pass more air and flow more water.
Not necessarily.....if you are looking for max cooling, its a function of coolant temperature in, volume (especially coolant flow and coolant velocity) of the coolant, coolant temperature out, air flow volume thru the radiator (air side), and total surface area of the WW folds between the tubes as this is the heat exchanger surface (more fold per inch or more WW folds) not necessarily the number of tubes between the inlet header (top tank) and the outlet header (bottom tank). Larger tubes may actually slow the velocity of the coolant. Heat exchanger efficiency is a function of temperature differences, velocity and volume......in spite of what the vendor says or what a buddy thinks....ask for the design calculations AND a performance guarantee. The secret is thermodynamics.....of heat transfer.....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Not necessarily.....if you are looking for max cooling, its a function of coolant temperature in, volume (especially coolant flow and coolant velocity) of of the coolant, air flow volume thru the radiator (air side), and total surface area of the WW folds between the tubes as this is the heat exchanger surface (more fold per inch or more WW folds) not necessarily the number of tubes between the inlet header (top tank) and the outlet header (bottom tank). Larger tubes may actually slow the velocity of the coolant. Heat exchanger efficiency is a function of temperature differences, velocity and volume......in spite of what the vendor says or what a buddy thinks....ask for the design calculations AND a performance guarantee. The secret is thermodynamics.....of heat transfer.....
BOB RENTON
And your suggestion for a part to work for the OP

And your suggestion for a part to work for the OP
In order to calculate the heat exchanger efficiency, one needs to know: temperatures, in/out of the coolant, total volume of the coolant (gpm), velocity of the coolant (ft/sec.), circulation volume at worst case condition, specific heat characteristics of the coolant, system operating pressures, air flow entering/exiting temps and air flow volume and worst case air entering temp, adding in a 5% fouling factor (coolant side). Give your supplier your collected data and he should be able to calculate the heat exchanger efficiency and properly size the heat exchanger...aka radiator... He should have software that performs these calcs plus materials of construction of the heat exchanger. If the vendor cannot supply the design calculations, i would seek another supplier......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Well I'm getting great advice and chasing the leads and it is all very much appreciated but I still am striking out. The supplier told me he was shipping one but now they won't return my calls or my email as I think he is unable to supply my request and is too busy to answer me. Cold Case doesn't have one that has the 1 3/4" passenger side bottom outlet but list one as the "Big Block" with both inlet and outlet on the driver's side and both are listed as 1 1/2" sized. Thought I found one by Be Cool radiator Part Number 134-62290 but it is also both inlet and outlet on driver's side but with the 1 3/4" bottom outlet. I just hate to run the bottom hose so far....

Well I'm getting great advice and chasing the leads and it is all very much appreciated but I still am striking out. The supplier told me he was shipping one but now they won't return my calls or my email as I think he is unable to supply my request and is too busy to answer me. Cold Case doesn't have one that has the 1 3/4" passenger side bottom outlet but list one as the "Big Block" with both inlet and outlet on the driver's side and both are listed as 1 1/2" sized. Thought I found one by Be Cool radiator Part Number 134-62290 but it is also both inlet and outlet on driver's side but with the 1 3/4" bottom outlet. I just hate to run the bottom hose so far....

These are the measurements of the one I posted. SKU: RAD-2375S

You might have to change your water pump housing to accommodate. They have housings with both side outlets.

RAD-2375S.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back