• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Engine Noise

MRMOPARMAN

Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
I have a constant engine noise from the top end of my 67 GTX 440. Engine has 70000 miles , doesn't blow any oil.Do I need to replace the rocker arms, lifters etc...??
It almost sounds like the engine is starving for oil at times. At hi-way speed ...as I slow down to turn off hi way the engine "Hammers like diesel" between 50-40 mph. then goes away and shows up again (less noisy) as I turn off hi-way.
Should I be using an Oil Additive ??
Should I be burning Premium fuel..??
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kevin

I think we need more info. Fresh oil? Maybe an exh. leak? Especially, how can you tell a top end noise while driving the car? Besides "not a real solid" lower end sound(?) what's the oil press.?

I think we need more info. Fresh oil? Maybe an exh. leak? Especially, how can you tell a top end noise while driving the car? Besides "not a real solid" lower end sound(?) what's the oil press.?
I do not have an oil guage in the car , just an idiot light. Oil is relatively fresh , maybe 500 miles since change. I had a senior Mopar Mechanic drive and listen to the noise. He was a mechanic in the late 60's and 70's. for Chrysler and is familiar with these engines . He said it was top engine noise . Particularly from the right rear side of the engine. The exhaust is tight . No noise from exhaust. It doesn't sound like a knock when driving or idliing.....It sounds like a tick tick. tick...

Sounds as if it could be rocker arm noise to me. Install an oil pressure gauge in one of the 2 fittings at the rear of the block. There are 2 places you can hook the gauge up to, one will be used by the oil pressure light sending unit, the other one can be used for the gauge. Then drive the car again and let us know if oil pressure is dropping when you get off the hi way, and by how much. A worn oil pump can cause oil pressure to drop when the engine gets warm. Also, sudden deceleration can cause the oil in the sump to slosh forward and uncover the pick up tube momentarily, resulting in air being drawn into the oiling system. This will in turn cause the lifters to lose oil pressure and start rattling until they get pressure again. You probably have a combination of problems there. Try over filling the pan with one extra quart of oil, and see if the problem goes away.

...........Thankyou !! :)
I most immediately will address this area. This is also what the Mechanic concluded, about the rocker arms possibly worn . I will also try the extra quart of oil.
Also should I add an oil-additive ? and should I be burning Premium Fuel.
Thankyou

Kevin

That depends on the oil your using, and if it has enough ZDDP in it. Yes, on the premium fuel, if the carb is more than a two-barrel.

Be careful not to put too much oil in the engine! If the oil level gets into the crank weights, your oil will get badly aerated. Means alot of air bubbles...something a engine won't live on very long.

Noise...could be looking at a collapsed lifter, bent push rod, so on. Use a long screwdriver, tip against a valve cover, end of screwdriver handle to your ear...and listen for noises.

That depends on the oil your using, and if it has enough ZDDP in it. Yes, on the premium fuel, if the carb is more than a two-barrel.

Be careful not to put too much oil in the engine! If the oil level gets into the crank weights, your oil will get badly aerated. Means alot of air bubbles...something a engine won't live on very long.

Noise...could be looking at a collapsed lifter, bent push rod, so on. Use a long screwdriver, tip against a valve cover, end of screwdriver handle to your ear...and listen for noises.
..Thank you for the info. :)

...........Thankyou !! :)
I most immediately will address this area. This is also what the Mechanic concluded, about the rocker arms possibly worn . I will also try the extra quart of oil.
^^^^^^^^

Kevin
there`s ur answer right there ! Most tlikely.

When your engine is operating at higher speeds, like hi way driving, much of the oil is being pumped into the top end, and is draining back towards the pan. So you already have at least 2 or more quarts circulating through the engine. You won't have a problem with the crankshaft whipping up the oil with a 1 quart overfill, but don't go more than that. When I raced my 451 RR, I overfilled it with an extra quart to assure an adequate oil supply, and never had a problem. This is just a simple test, to see if it solves your lifter noise problem. I wouldn't use any oil additives. A healthy engine in good condition will run fine with good clean motor oil and filter. You can go to a heavier oil such as 20W50. I recommend that in a 440 with higher miles, rather than a lighter oil such as 10W30. Use Premium fuel, but it won't affect lifter noise problems.

you have a 10:1 compression engine and your not using premium gas?

I would add to what others have said;
If you're running a Fram filter get rid of it and replace it with a Wix..

When your engine is operating at higher speeds, like hi way driving, much of the oil is being pumped into the top end, and is draining back towards the pan. So you already have at least 2 or more quarts circulating through the engine. You won't have a problem with the crankshaft whipping up the oil with a 1 quart overfill, but don't go more than that. When I raced my 451 RR, I overfilled it with an extra quart to assure an adequate oil supply, and never had a problem. This is just a simple test, to see if it solves your lifter noise problem. I wouldn't use any oil additives. A healthy engine in good condition will run fine with good clean motor oil and filter. You can go to a heavier oil such as 20W50. I recommend that in a 440 with higher miles, rather than a lighter oil such as 10W30. Use Premium fuel, but it won't affect lifter noise problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back