• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Engine RPM question

Onecarnut

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, new guy here with my first question. I have a 1968 Plymouth Satellite with a 440 4bl and torker manifold. I have no information on whether anything was done internally to the engine so lets just assume it's stock. I was wondering what you think the safe max rpm should be for this engine. I know there are several factors that could contribute to this but I just want to know a safe number so I can set my tach light to go off at the right rpm when shifting manually. Much appreciated!

5400 works best with any stock or stroked 440 I had...after 5400....the gain in speed wasn't worth the wait and strain

5400 works best with any stock or stroked 440 I had...after 5400....the gain in speed wasn't worth the wait and strain
perfect - that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

Chassis dyno says my 440 stops pulling after 4850. No need to go upstairs after that. In the basement, where I like it is where the power is.

Chassis dyno says my 440 stops pulling after 4850. No need to go upstairs after that. In the basement, where I like it is where the power is.
Thanks! I think I might just set my tach to 5000 and call it a day. I don't race the car; I just like to do short bursts to scare women and children :)

Mine with a mild cam is all done at 5500. Stock 5K or even lower is probably about it.

Mine quit making more power at 5700 rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back