• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 has 2 cylinders not firing, #5 and #8 after installation

R. Everett

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 has 2 cylinders not firing, #5 and #8. It has a MSD ready to run for a distributor and new plugs. Engine was recently refreshed but when I fired it up and the paint on the headers for #5 and #8 did not melt off. Checked the temps at the headers and sure enough they are running cold. Swapped plugs and plug wires from both and still will not fire. Used a spark checker and both seem to have spark. Checked compression it was 125 psi. Seems to have all the ingredients to fire but will not. Any thoughts?

look at the intake manifold and see if 5 and 8 are getting fuel off the same plenum/carb bores. could be the carb is very fat and causinig a distribution issue. too rich will cool the exhaust temps. other than that just go over the electricals with an ohm meter to make sure everything is working. if you had 2 dead cylinders the engine should really run awful.

When you pulled plugs, did you notice any damage, fuel soak oil?

Checked compression it was 125 psi.
Compression seems a little low, but that depends on the build. Those two cylinders have the same compression...125?
If the plug wires/spark plugs check out, could be something in the distributor itself...almost have to. Maybe the cap??
How does the spark look, compared to the others?

You need fuel, air and spark to fire. So you have fuel. You must also have air if you got the fuel (no rags inside the intake manifold?). Then the problem must be spark. Try swapping plug wires and see if the problem follows the wires.

Yeah, I'm with lew & krylser....fuel mixture off....maybe an intake manifold leak on those two cylinders? You have a "range" it will fire up with. Too much air or too much fuel & "no fuego" (no fire)....and maybe check those plug wires with a grounded extra spark plug.... crack in the distributor cap?

?? You have verified the firing order.....
DistAlign.jpg

Could be something in the distrib also they are 180 out in the firing order.

Sounds like you have compression (low but enough to fire, and hopefully similar to the other holes) and spark... So there's only fuel you're short IMO....lol.

move all the wires 1 position either direction, rotate distributor to compensate...…… see if the same 2 holes are missing

I was thinking 2 wiped intake lobes, no valve train noise?

He had said, compression in all 8 holes were about the same. I'd think a wiped lobe would show up, on the test.

Seems odd, because 5 and 8 are directly across from each other on the distributor. Maybe try swapping those 2 positions where the wires plug in to the dist, but leave the wires hooked to the same plug they are on.

Auto Transport Service
Back