• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 hp block I.D.

dan brooks

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
I scored a 440 h.p. block this weekend and was wondering about the stamping on the pan rail, I think I got the rest of it figured out.
the pan rail stamp, I believe is OB130628, I understand this should match the vin of the car came out of but the guy had no idea as he wasn't the original owner. Any ideas as to what this might have been out of???
Tell me if i'm right about the rest,
pass side of block- 8/15/69, cast date
2536430-9 66/72 440, don't know about the 9 though
top stamp,
F= 1970
440= C.I.
9/17= September 17th
C= special rods/pistons
H.P.=high performance
2= second shift

The pan rail stamping is 0B130628. This shows a 1970 vehicle (0), and from the Dodge Main Hamtramck MI plant (B), then the last six of the VIN (130628). If this follows the same numbering convention, it should have been the 30,627th car down the line.

The only two possibilities for a 70 Hamtramck 440 would be a Cuda or Challenger.
13063x is a Challenger. That's as close as I can get you.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, I had a factory 440 Cuda and the number was similar. Riddle me this though, in the casting number there's the 2536430, I know what that is but what is the 9 mean after it??

The number after the casting number is the number of times the cores had been replaced in the mold, as I was told long ago. Supposedly, the lower the number, the better the block would be concerning core shift in the cylinders.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, I had a factory 440 Cuda and the number was similar. Riddle me this though, in the casting number there's the 2536430, I know what that is but what is the 9 mean after it??

Casting core revision. Over time, the cores were refreshed/replaced.

Just a guess, but the "C" for special rods or pistons could indicate a 6 pak motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back