• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 identification

440gtx1967

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi, My first newbie question, engine in car, how do I determine if it is a 440...Thanks in advance

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6544.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

Correct Engine number on pad on front drivers side in front of
manifold cats into the block would have this sequence stanped into it:

C440 HP or
Hp2

Side of block would have Julian Date
of around 6/xx/66 to 6/xx/67

Restoration guys w have better details = I am just a racer but
we had two new 67 GTX's My dad took delivery 11/5/66 and we had
only seen then in mags before that!

This engine looks perfectly original OEM to me.

Last edited:
A real easy/quick way to see if its a 440 is looking for the number pad on the drivers side right behind the water pump housing. It should look like this. The hole would be the bolt hole for the valley pan hold down on the drivers side front.
From the looks of your picture, this engine looks like a 383 to me.

1664588347419.png

A real easy/quick way to see if its a 440 is looking for the number pad on the drivers side right behind the water pump housing. It should look like this. The hole would be the bolt hole for the valley pan hold down on the drivers side front.
From the looks of your picture, this engine looks like a 383 to me.

View attachment 1350687
Would be kind enough to point to the area you are talking about and why you came to that conclusion please

Don't scare'm... the pad is definitely there.
You sure? The 3rd bolt hole would be flush with the pad. I dont see the pad near your arrow at all. It would be flush with that 3rd hole on the right.

Spark plug wire bracket is held on by the 3rd bolt. Pad is definitely there.. you on a phone..

I pointed to the bolt where you should be looking and then in red where the pad sits flush with the bolt hole.

Pad.jpg

Spark plug wire bracket is held on by the 3rd bolt. Pad is definitely there.. you on a phone..
I'm on my computer with a 1440p 32" monitor. I think I can see just fine. Where the bracket dips, it should be flush. Like the 1st picture I posted. The casting extends out and all I see is the casting take a 90 degree turn downward which is where you see the spark plug bracket.

Look at intake manifold the number 67 to 69 last three is "178" it will not fit
on a low block. However, High Blocks came in 383/413/426/440 and all would nave
the pad on front. Only 440 were cast from 66 up and not the others so block number/Casting # would
help to narrow it down (Except for a few 413 Stationary engines and HD Motorhomes. But they are way
different appearing).

As my elder mind recalls: "430" are the last 3 casting #s ONLY on 440's.

Still hard to see.
Post intake Manifold # and that will settle it?
Right under front of Air Cleaner
Nearly 100% sure it is RB block by length of Valley cover hold downs!

On picture 1 and 3, I can make out the RB pad under the spark plug wires.

That's better; 440 intake, casting date 10-26-66 for 1967 model year.

I think in this picture you can see the pad under the spark plug wires

IMG_6541.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back