• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 identification

Is this car not in your posession?? I thought you were going to look and tell us. I say the pad is there.... and I'm sticking to that..
It is my car but at its storage facility..I can check early next week

Its a 1967 440 HP based on the pictures you have provided so far.
The true tell is the close up picture of the engine ID pad that shows - year / size / build date / shift / any special stamps
I will definitely be looking when I see the car again...and will provide pictures...Thanks to all

Spark plug wire bracket is held on by the 3rd bolt. Pad is definitely there.. you on a phone..
Sparkplug wire bracket is held on by the drivers side water neck bolt, but it positions the sparkplug wire in the way of the pad.

Looks like it may be a correct carb as I can see the 3-step metering rod, raised caps and the tag is correct.

As long as he can read the stamp or knows the history. My 69 RR had a 413 in it but the 2nd owner after me had it for sale saying that it was a 440.

I can't see the pad :poke:
Pad ? Pad ? What's this "pad" everyone's talking about ?
1664638208947.png

Correct Engine number on pad on front drivers side in front of
manifold cats into the block would have this sequence stanped into it:

C440 HP or
Hp2

Side of block would have Julian Date
of around 6/xx/66 to 6/xx/67

Restoration guys w have better details = I am just a racer but
we had two new 67 GTX's My dad took delivery 11/5/66 and we had
only seen then in mags before that!

This engine looks perfectly original OEM to me.
the only real way to tell is check the casting #'s i have seen the web stamped wrong or lefted blank all rb's will have a web on the top for a stamp

Attachments

• Mopar Engine Block Casting Numbers.pdf
    269.5 KB · Views: 97
You might try looking at the side of the block below the head and above the freeze plugs. (This photo is upside down)

20220325_132516.jpg

Finally got the time to get to the car and here is what is seen on the pad

tempImageRxd09j.png

Let's see if I decipher the numbers correctly

C=1967
440 engine
Jan 4 build date
HP= High Perfomance

Auto Transport Service
Back