• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 push rods,tapered on one end.

chargervert

Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I am assembling a 440 engine that I took apart about 3 years ago and the push rods are tapered down on the last half inch on one end. I cannot remember if the tapered end goes in the lifter or the rocker arm. I replaced the cam and lifters with a Comp flat tappet hydraulic setup. Should I even use these push rods at all,or replace them with a new set. I imagine that if they go in with the tapered end going into the rocker arm, then I would have to use them to run that rocker arm setup. If that's the case, are they ok to run,or should I swap out the whole push rod and rocker arm setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete.

From what I found out those style push rods are pre 68 I have them with my old 66 383. I have to buy a set of lifters anyhow so Ill be updating them to the regular push rods. As far as up or down...... I have no clue I think the tapered part goes into the lifter. because when you look at cam/lifter combos it says for 68 up BB engines. I asked the question here and was told the tapered style wont work with 68 up lifters... So I assume the tapered end goes into the lifter.

Agree with above. The earlier lifters used a smaller radius in the cups. I would use new pushrods with the new cam.

Ok thanks, that is what I was thinking when I saw the tapered end on them.

I am assembling a 440 engine that I took apart about 3 years ago and the push rods are tapered down on the last half inch on one end. I cannot remember if the tapered end goes in the lifter or the rocker arm. I replaced the cam and lifters with a Comp flat tappet hydraulic setup. Should I even use these push rods at all,or replace them with a new set. I imagine that if they go in with the tapered end going into the rocker arm, then I would have to use them to run that rocker arm setup. If that's the case, are they ok to run,or should I swap out the whole push rod and rocker arm setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete.

The tapered end pushrods were 1967 and earlier For the lifters those cars used. If you replacae the cam and lifters, I think they may be too long with the new lifters.

With new lifters, i'll bet the radius in the cup at the top of the lifters are different, the later style . That means that your pushrods are probably wrong for the new lifters. I would call Comp to confirm, but i bet you need new pushrods.

I've seen small-end pushrods in a large cup lifter, doesn't seem to hurt anything but it's not correct.

Tapered end down. Built several engines with tapered pushrods in new lifters with no issues whatsoever. They seem pretty interchangeable.

Auto Transport Service
Back