• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 question

Roger63

Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
I seen this motor for sale locally and I know what the E 440 means, but does the rest indicate on the pad.
00Z0Z_9CQcMcyEY2M_600x450.jpg

I wonder this too. My B383 has pretty much the same numbers and I cant be sure but I thought it was an assembly date. 2-20-2 But how does the 2 correspond to a year. Maybe the E speaks for the year. so E =69 2-20 assembly day possibly second shift?

I believe your correct about the E=69 but hopefully someone here knows the rest.:praying:

Does it have a vin number stamped into the block above the oil pan on the side? That could give you a little more information.

I haven't went to look at it yet, just trying to gather info before I do.

E = the model year 1969 (A = 65, B = 66, C = 67, etc)

440 = Cubic inch displacement

2 20 = assembly date = February 20, 1969.

2 = assembled second shift.

since there is no HP stamped on the pad, this tells us it’s out of a C body. The VIN on the side will help narrow down what it came out of.

E = the model year 1969 (A = 65, B = 66, C = 67, etc)

440 = Cubic inch displacement

2 20 = assembly date = February 20, 1969.

2 = assembled second shift.

since there is no HP stamped on the pad, this tells us it’s out of a C body. The VIN on the side will help narrow down what it came out of.
Thank you sir, I'm really not all that concerned with what it came out of. He claims it's a standard bore complete engine heads down. I'm looking for a builder for my 71 satellite and this one caught my attention for $500

Auto Transport Service
Back