• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 short block

sc440

Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
So I get my 440 short block build back from machine shop, and find this was wanting.010-.015 below deck looks like crank was ground different on #5 and 7, which I have a positive deck height. Should I be worried about this?

71180672189__E1398045-F073-4A58-A44A-19E88F4324BB.jpeg

71180592042__E9C5DFE5-AB46-4C66-B761-685ACC4441FF.jpeg

Stock ground crank, icon 836 pistons, molnar rods

Yes I would be. You can install a thick gasket to get the right piston to head clearance, on the tall ones, but then the other cylinders will be down on compression. The whole idea behind blueprinting an engine is that all 8 cylinders are exactly the same.

dam thats terrible , sounds like un equal length rods !! Never heard of just grinding two journals , not kosher to me !!

I would prefer all bearings to be the same. Rebuilt ford motors are not the same when you get their crate motors. 10 thou. here and 20 thou there. Up and down all over the place. Dose not work for me. Also, each jug should be the same bore.

So I am checking deck height of pistons here, 5 and 6 are on the same rod Joe Al of crank, everything seems close except for the deck height of 5 and 6, seems to me like the crank on that journal wasn’t ground same as the others?

Not sure how to fix it, mill top of pistons on them 2 cylinders?

Not sure how to fix it, mill top of pistons on them 2 cylinders?
No way would I do that....
Send the crank out to Ohio Crank to confirm this issue. If they can't fix it, or get it within spec, then sell it and get a true crank.

Not to happy about this at all,I just paid a lot to have this machined and short block assembled

Grab a straight edge and your feeler gauges and check the block deck from front to back.
Valley side , outside , I think your block is off.

Is the stroke on #5 and #7 longer? That would seem to confirm one journal was ground with an offset. Definitely an issue, whatever the cause.

Here is a better picture everything is pretty close right side of block 2 and 8 are both .011 down, left side 1 and 7 are within a couple of thousandths, the problem is cylinders 5 and 6 are positive sticking up out of cylinders.005 and .007 thousandths. Decks look pretty level to me not perfect but plenty close. With exception of cylinder's 5&6 which seems to me the crank on that journal was ground different then the rest

IMG_2993.jpeg

That's effed up, It looks like the crankshaft was ground wrong. You can check how far in the hole they are at BDC then you'll know for sure whether it's an effed up crank or wrong height rods or pistons. It has to be fixed. Crank ground wrong will be longer stroke, wrong height pistons or rods will be the same stroke.

Really not sure what can be done to fix it, mill pistons on 5 and 6 about .015 to .018 to match the rest or buy new crank. I already paid a well respected shop a bunch of money and end up with this. This bottom end was all balanced.

That's effed up, It looks like the crankshaft was ground wrong. You can check how far in the hole they are at BDC then you'll know for sure whether it's an effed up crank or wrong height rods or pistons. It has to be fixed. Crank ground wrong will be longer stroke, wrong height pistons or rods will be the same stroke.
I just checked at bottom it is ground about.020 different

Guess I need to call him tomorrow not sure what he is going to say there really is no good way to fix it

Was the crank ground as part of this build, or was it ground previously?

It would have been nice if they’d have called about that.

For a beater, I’d leave it.
But for a “good” build, I’d replace the crank.

Yes it was ground as part of the build thanks for your input

And yes it would have been nice to have been notified about the situation

Auto Transport Service
Back