• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Super Stealth heads

I wont even ask how many hrs you guys spend on them heads. I remeber me spending like almost 40 hrs in 906 heads some years back and got nowhere near that number. And that was putting the larger 2.14 and 1.81's in my 906's. I am lucky as my brother has a machine shop and we have all the head porting and grinding tools. About the only thing he cant do is mill heads. Oh and he does not have a flow bench which would be cool to have. Ah but it was fun. Course now with my bad back I cant even think of porting heads myself anymore. Ron

Kent, we washed them up and tested them. Indy 325 CNC 440-1.

..............I/E, as received

.100.............65/61
.200...........142/115
.300...........212/158
.400...........265/207
.500...........306/237
.600...........343/257
.700...........358/276
.800...........368/287

They vary a bit, from a low of 366/271, to a high of 372/309

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they will approach 400 cfm, but nobody knows at this point, I haven't even layed eyes on them yet. I do predict they will be for sale.

IQ52..LOL.. I was kind of kidding, but with yours & Cody's combined talents, I wouldn't be surprised either...LOL... My buddy Mark Lowe that died last year, who was a professional head porter also said, he thought he could get near 400cfm out of them, but that was also sight unseen too, he was going by dimensions &/or photos, but was known to be pretty good at backing up his comments... I'm sure they would have been probably welded on or larger valves, Max Wedge port dimensions & Intake w/different seats, what ever was needed etc. too, I don't remember all of the conversation, but who knows, I haven't seen any #'s on a quality port job on them as of yet.... I will after your done...LOL... for sale ?? I wish I had some damn cash...LOL... I've been thinking about a set of Stage VI Mopar Aluminum CNC P4876383 "ported heads" a friend has, he owes me a bunch of money & they are rated {260cc Intake volume w/std port P4876383 rated 351cfm & 252cfm @ only 0.700" lift} 285cc volume MW port windows @ 2.25"/1.81" valves & 381cfm intake & 260cfm exhaust @ 0.750" lift & 28" on the bench...

Well, they're not going to go to 400 cfm with me porting them. These are the first tests.

Lift..........OOTB.............First porting

.100........72/61.................80/65
.200......147/124..............160/139
.300......208/161..............228/184
.400......250/190..............278/216
.500......276/207..............315/241
.600......280/217..............324/259
.700......279/224..............335/275

My first impression was they were trying to save on aluminum rather than getting a good port shape. Maybe we can save them somewhat, but I really need to put some more aluminum back in the bowls than what they came with. Do all the Super Stealths come with what looks like weld repair under the seats and spring pockets like this pair does? I'm going to call Monday and find out.

Jim just out of curiousity, what's the best flowing head yall have done?

Jim just out of curiousity, what's the best flowing head yall have done?

Can't say. Small block, big block, hemi? Every time we work a head, any head, it's gotten better. Our knowledge is so incomplete still as there are may heads we've never worked. My favorite head at this time is the Edelbrock Victor. The most peak flow was an Indy 426-1 Legend Hemi head, VERY mild port job, it went 407 cfm. Heck the 331 Hemi will go 360+ cfm at .700". Without a great deal of testing we're knocking on the door of 380 cfm with the Victor and Indy EZ. Never done the big Indy big block heads, no Brodix.

The exhaust number look great. I have been watching these for a while and considering doing a set for the stock appearing 511" for our convertible. Thank you for sharing. Could you post some pictures of the area's that look to have been repaired?

Well, they're not going to go to 400 cfm with me porting them. These are the first tests.

Lift..........OOTB.............First porting

.100........72/61.................80/65
.200......147/124..............160/139
.300......208/161..............228/184
.400......250/190..............278/216
.500......276/207..............315/241
.600......280/217..............324/259
.700......279/224..............335/275

My first impression was they were trying to save on aluminum rather than getting a good port shape. Maybe we can save them somewhat, but I really need to put some more aluminum back in the bowls than what they came with. Do all the Super Stealths come with what looks like weld repair under the seats and spring pockets like this pair does? I'm going to call Monday and find out.

IQ52/Jim what is the main problem ??, is it too thin of castings in the port, the pockets or pinch areas ??, how do they look at the area of the push-rod where the Stealths Std. Aluminum head always needs to be ground on when, to clear using 1.6:1 rockers & 3/8" or bigger diameter push-rods ??... the bowls looked like they were repaired {welded on ?} already from the supplier ??, that's really strange, I've never heard of that... what is your 1st impressions of them ??, they look like great exhaust ports w/275cfm flow #'s... 335cfm intake port with 1st attempt/pass, not too bad... what is the cc intake port volume after the 1st porting attempt ??... was it an easy clean-up ??, or extensive porting & reshaping to get those 1st intake flow #'s ??, were is the majority of the material removed from the roof, walls, bowls, short side radious, guide area, etc. ??, what size valves/seats were used in the 1st test porting ??, what did you do in the combustion chamber & how big/cc's ??... have a great day

Well, we're learning the port, somewhat. Too many questions for me to answer Budnicks. One question/answer fer now. 1st impressions?......Not impressed.

Last test tonight and maybe for awhile.

.100.............74 cfm

- - - Updated - - -

The exhaust number look great. I have been watching these for a while and considering doing a set for the stock appearing 511" for our convertible. Thank you for sharing. Could you post some pictures of the area's that look to have been repaired?

Will attempt to post as I can. Talked to another person who has the S/Stealths and he said he had weld buildup under the hard seats also.

i've followed this thread a little bit and i'm not a head expert; stuck my toe in the water a few times though. when these heads came out a few months ago i had a few questions in my mind about them. we know the only engineering on the stealth head was cosmetic and the rest was a copy cat. was there any engineering on the super stealth or was metal just moved around to it's limit? personally, i doubt there's any real new engineering. i think the original stealth head has a place in the performance build and the super stealth may find a place too. but, i also think neither are real race heads and should be treated as such. i think that we in the mopar community get so hungry for new performance options that we put too much faith in new products/gadgets. time will tell.

i've followed this thread a little bit and i'm not a head expert; stuck my toe in the water a few times though. when these heads came out a few months ago i had a few questions in my mind about them. we know the only engineering on the stealth head was cosmetic and the rest was a copy cat. was there any engineering on the super stealth or was metal just moved around to it's limit? personally, i doubt there's any real new engineering. i think the original stealth head has a place in the performance build and the super stealth may find a place too. but, i also think neither are real race heads and should be treated as such. i think that we in the mopar community get so hungry for new performance options that we put too much faith in new products/gadgets. time will tell.

Very astute. Let us be polite. It is unlikely I will be using the S/Stealth heads. It could be used by the novice to easily finish the ports to max wedge size and put on a fancy MW manifold and gain a few cfm over the standard Stealth.

You wanna race? Buy a race head.......this isn't it.

IMO, this is why you stick with American based companies and don't try and save a few nickels on an inferior Chinese substitute. Not everyone is going to spend $500-$700 getting their heads ported and flow tested, to get them to outflow Edelbrock Performer RPM's ootb when they are supposedly on par with the Victors ootb.. That just sounds ludicrous.

Very astute. Let us be polite. It is unlikely I will be using the S/Stealth heads. It could be used by the novice to easily finish the ports to max wedge size and put on a fancy MW manifold and gain a few cfm over the standard Stealth.

You wanna race? Buy a race head.......this isn't it.

IQ52 Thanks for an honest professional opinion... & for posting your findings, spending the time to educate us...

The biggest valve you can use, with the OOTB valve seat, in the S/Stealth heads is 2.14. So, if you have Super Stealth heads or that is all you can afford, what can you do with them?

Simple, get a die grinder and blend the grand canyon bowls into the hardened seats, layback the short turn under the seat without changing the height of the floor, do a five angle valve job, backcut the valve, and open the wobbly port window to max wedge size. Then you will have.....

.100...........73 cfm

If you need more flow than that.......you need a REAL cylinder head.

It's just too expensive to make this head flow bigger numbers. This head is for the backyard hobbist who wants to go a little faster without wiping out the bank account. If you don't have the tools to do what I suggest, or a buddy who has them, you need to consider another head.

Yeah, my first choice. But don't think I'm down on 440 Source. I've always had excellent customer service. I have and would, use their stroker kits in a heartbeat.

You actually like the regular stealths, right?

Yeah Rob, I very much like the standard Stealth head. As I've said before, if you already own a Stealth head and want up to 725 HP normally aspirated, it is cheaper to put new intake seats and valves in the Stealth head and port it, than buy another aftermarket head and port it to get the horsepower. I don't know of another OOTB after market head, unless it is already CNCd, that will make 725 HP without porting it,

Yeah Rob, I very much like the standard Stealth head. As I've said before, if you already own a Stealth head and want up to 725 HP normally aspirated, it is cheaper to put new intake seats and valves in the Stealth head and port it, than buy another aftermarket head and port it to get the horsepower. I don't know of another OOTB after market head, unless it is already CNCd, that will make 725 HP without porting it,

Jim that doesn't make any sense... you say ported, than with out porting... can you clarify, I'm just curious now... are you referring to the Std. Stealths "will make 725hp" with out porting ??, or are you saying "there's no out of the box, aftermarket BB Mopar wedge head that will make 725hp, with out some kind of porting ??.... that is, if you understand my question... Unfortunately I think there are some people, that may falsely think that the Std. or Super Stealths or Some other OOTB head will make that kind of power, with out 1st "being ported" in some fashion/way... IMHO they would need to be set straight...

Auto Transport Service
Back