• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Timing chain kit

Wietse

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for a replacement timing chain kit for my 440, i was considering to replace the camshaft but since it now runs well with the Holley EFI i think it will no longer be needed to replace.
I've come across so many topics where quality issues are observed (not just timing chains and sprockets) that i am kinda scared to make a choice.
Since it's a single bolt cam i do not have unlimited options, i did find a timing chain kit on Hughes Engines website, they are made by Progear and are USA made quality products.
Though i wanted to ask you guys if you are having any experience with Progear, or recommend any other manufacturer?
I like to think i want to go with a 9 key crank sprocket to keep some options open for any cam adjustments.
Any recommendations?

This is the kit i was looking at:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...IENoYWluIFNldHM=&level3=MSBCb2x0&partid=11211

Cloyes or Melling for me, but then, I'm old school. Those names have been around forever
and their stuff doesn't break, least in my experience.

The best thing to do is to degree the cam in. Regardless of manufacture.

Never used the one you listed. What ever you use, keep an eye on your ignition timing, if you find it is retarding by itself that will tell you if things are wearing. Cheap cast gear sets can wear the locator hole on a single bolt cam.

I have a spare 440 double chain with steel gears for a single bolt. Came off of a low miles Motor home 440. Yours if you want it, pay the freight. PM me...

I wouldn't hesitate to use the ProGear, for a 1-bolt set that's about the best you'll find.

Thank you all for the replies.
I always have to look where i can order to combine it with other stuff, otherwise i gonna end up paying more for shipping than actual materials.
Therefore i like to order from Hughes Engines, Summit, Mancini, etc. and combine all part together.
Though the timing kits on Hughes seemed most trustworthy for quality.

As toolmanmike mentioned about degreeing the cam, currently the cam is installed without advance/retard and the cam has a 4* advance ground in.
Installing a new timing kit the same would leave the cam in similar position right?
Only difference would be that the "retarding" that occurs from the chain slack is gone after replacement.
Or is this a big mistake in my thinking?

Thank you all for the replies.
I always have to look where i can order to combine it with other stuff, otherwise i gonna end up paying more for shipping than actual materials.
Therefore i like to order from Hughes Engines, Summit, Mancini, etc. and combine all part together.
Though the timing kits on Hughes seemed most trustworthy for quality.

As toolmanmike mentioned about degreeing the cam, currently the cam is installed without advance/retard and the cam has a 4* advance ground in.
Installing a new timing kit the same would leave the cam in similar position right?
Only difference would be that the "retarding" that occurs from the chain slack is gone after replacement.
Or is this a big mistake in my thinking?
Sounds correct to me. :thumbsup:

Almost a year later, lol. But i just changed my timing gear and chain with a new kit from Howards.
To my crazy surprise the engine starts and idles a lot stronger than before, i can clearly hear and see a huge improvement compared to before.
It's obvious any slack can change the timing between crank and cam, but i never seen any excessive fluctuation in ignition timing during checking/adjusting.
But man, what a difference that made, that cam must have been flying all over the place.

I did not advance or retard it, i removed the old one dot-to-dot and installed the new one dot-to-dot.

Dot to dot doesn't mean it is accurate.
Likely the new gearset is more accurate so it is where it should be so it runs better.
My son had a remanufactured 5.9 to that I degreed three times as it was 6 degrees retarded. Threw it in the trash and bought a new timing set.

I've found that even the premium chains stretch a degree or two very soon after installation, and some of the 'less' than premium sets can stretch even more. If I was building more serious stuff I'd use a gear drive.

Almost a year later, lol. But i just changed my timing gear and chain with a new kit from Howards.
To my crazy surprise the engine starts and idles a lot stronger than before, i can clearly hear and see a huge improvement compared to before.
It's obvious any slack can change the timing between crank and cam, but i never seen any excessive fluctuation in ignition timing during checking/adjusting.
But man, what a difference that made, that cam must have been flying all over the place.

I did not advance or retard it, i removed the old one dot-to-dot and installed the new one dot-to-dot.
Thanks for the update

Dot to dot doesn't mean it is accurate.

I had the cam timing checked with the old set, dot to dot so i knew it was correct.
In the position the old one came off, the new one went straight in without and adjustment so nothing changed in that perspective. (the old chain had all slack on the non-tension side)
I never would have figured it would change so much, it runs as a completely different engine now.
When i fired her up i was shocked instantly by its behavior, normally it is sputtering and stumbling in an attempt to keep running (when cold) where now it idles strong and just ramps up to 1100-1200 rpm high idle.
Next project is torque converter :)

I've found that even the premium chains stretch a degree or two very soon after installation, and some of the 'less' than premium sets can stretch even more.
The new one will stretch as well as they all do, but i assume the old one must have been in a really bad shape and i never noticed.
My car is not a racer so no gear drive needed, never seen one for Mopars.

I would use a Rollmaster Premium set. Uses the German made Iwis chain which is pre-stretched.

I just bought a Melling chain set for another brand of engine I am building & it comes with a Rolon chain. In the cupboard, I have another Rolon chain. Says Rolon one side, Made in India on the other side. Free to anybody who wants it!

Auto Transport Service
Back