• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470 broken in.....

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
and I installed the 2nd valve spring yesterday. But....from the get go, it sounds like a sewing machine. The cam is a Comp XE285HL. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this? Read a few things that state due to the ramp rate, that's the noise it makes.

Other than that, it's bitchin'!

I have the 275 version of that cam and was wondering what it sounded like and found them on YouTube and both sound pretty docile for what they are.
HotRod did a build very similar to mine and did the 275 and the numers it put down were very impressive 550hp/570tq .
I bet you are doing even better with your setup.
Glad to hear your about done...post a vid! I'd really like to hear it!

Got some loose ends to tie up, then I can take it down the street.

I have the XE295HL in my 500" big block 440 in my Charger and it sounds like the rockers are all loose. Runs like a sum beech though!!! Good power and the idle isn't that crazy at all.
:lol::rofl:

My idle is at 850-900, but I need to tune the Holley Terminator, but it does sound great!

Yea I keep mine between 800-850 but its a 4 speed car so it seems to like it there.

and I installed the 2nd valve spring yesterday. But....from the get go, it sounds like a sewing machine. The cam is a Comp XE285HL. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this? Read a few things that state due to the ramp rate, that's the noise it makes.

Other than that, it's bitchin'!

I ran the same camshaft 4-5 years ago, i'll post a sound-clip later. Yes, it does sound like a sewing machine (last hyd cam I ran until I went mech), quite a lot of valvetrain noise due to the faster ramp rate.

Drove around the block twice today and she runs good. I had to fight the little devil on my shoulder as I REALLY wanted to lay into it, but I drove like a civilized human being.

Need to address the front alignment a bit more, and add some heat protection to a few plug wires.

Last edited:
The CVF Beast serpentine kit is modified from its original belt routing along with putting the ac compressor down low on the passenger side. I was able to reuse 1 belt and had to order a shorter belt for the crank to power steering pump and that will be here tomorrow. Also scored an ECP 2 row, 1 inch tubes, 26” radiator on eBay for 140 smackers. I will probably have to switch to electric fans due to the lack of space in my 69’ Dart GT, we will see.

7CB4EB02-A5CD-420B-BD9D-9BAAF62FF789.jpeg E401F01C-0656-4520-BBF9-96C37FC794E9.jpeg 8B8F46D7-DC42-4E4D-B85E-E1E213F3C100.jpeg 4F700DDE-BBFB-4362-B072-BCE244653DEE.jpeg

Lucky bastard, were they new rads?? I just talked to frank at ECP yesterday

That looks much better! I never cared for the compressors sitting on top, very detracting....

It is a new radiator, has a bent flange, no biggie to fix it and comes with their warranty. Couldn’t pass on it!

Yeah, the ac compressor on top looks like an after thought. The bracket I had to make was simple, but getting 1/2 aluminum to melt was hard, had to put 140 amps to it.

The Beast from CVF Racing is installed, modified and waiting on the shorter 8 rib belt, the 6 was dirt cheap and good for mock up.

If I can get a different power steering pulley, I can make this a true 1 belt serpentine set up.

0016AFD3-D05B-4B1E-B894-54C9491F7981.jpeg 1528631F-9791-4F61-AC90-611C0B0EC3F2.jpeg E31879B9-99FB-4FF2-897E-3C01182FDC2C.jpeg

Got the radiator yesterday from ECP and they screwed the pooch on this sooooo bad! I received a 3 row radiator, not the 2 row that was listed in the auction.
Sent an email to them and they said “we don’t make 3 row radiators so send it back and sorry about this”!
Kinda pissed, now I have to take it down to the post office to ship it back. I did get a prepaid return label, but I was hoping to have it back up and running this weekend.

I don’t have a YouTube account, so unless someone is willing to post it for me, I can’t do it.

Let me get it running again and I’ll send it to ya.

Auto Transport Service
Back