• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4spd wont go into 1-2

WesleyK

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, so Ive searched and if this is covered already I apologize I couldn't turn anything up. 68 Bee 4spd, about a year and a half ago I went through and inspected the trans during the restoration process. All synchros looked good as did everything else. put the cover back on and manually shifted through all the gears using the tabs the rods connect to. All seemed fine. Once in the car and hurst mechanism adjusted i every gear nice and smooth with the engine off. Yesterday I "drove" the car for the first time pulling it out of the shop. All was well then suddenly no reverse, then no 1-2. I unhooked the rods and could shift into reverse on the tab but the 1-2 lever is stuck it will not budge. So obviously I have an internal issue. So can anybody advise me on what to look for? I'm planning on pulling the cover first to have a look without pulling the tranny if i can help it. Any tips or procedures I'd appreciate. I want to reiterate this is not a shifter mechanism issue as I have unhooked it and it still will not move. 3-4 by the way shifts perfectly.

I may be way off base here, but this was my experience from long, long ago...I know you say everything looked good when you inspected it, but I had a shift fork break and it didn't allow me to shift into 1 & 2, if I remember correctly. I wasn't even "beating on it" at the time it broke. I was just normally shifting, then all of a sudden I couldn't.

I may be way off base here, but this was my experience from long, long ago...I know you say everything looked good when you inspected it, but I had a shift fork break and it didn't allow me to shift into 1 & 2, if I remember correctly. I wasn't even "beating on it" at the time it broke. I was just normally shifting, then all of a sudden I couldn't.
Yeah I defiantly wasn’t beating in it. Just driving it out of the shop. It seems like it’s stuck in second maybe. Not sure yet

Update: if I remove the tab that the rod connects to I can put a wrench directly to the stud and it shifts! Let me see what’s going on and why it wouldn’t move with the tab on.

I got it fixed! Turns out it was just stuck between 2 gears which apparently happens on these sometimes. I unhooked everything and got it all moving re adjusted the mechanism which was out pretty good and now she’s smooth as silk!

Last edited:
I got it fixed! Turns out it was just stuck between 2 gears which apparently happens on these sometimes. I unhooked everything and got it all moving re adjusted the mechanism which was out pretty good and now she’s smooth as silk!

Brand x years ago ...... would always hang up between 2 gears if you had on a nice shirt and jeans for the night.
Every friggin time,
finally got smart enough to carry a old jacket in the trunk.
Lol

It shouldn’t hang in 2 gears at once. Either the reverse detent is sticking, missing the ball, broken spring. Or the side cover detent assembly has a spring, ball, or lever issue. Going into 2 gears on a 833 is not normal.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back