• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 question

3sloppydogs

Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
so I finally got around to pulling the trans out of the charger after the no 1st/no reverse issue. I pulled it because I wasn't happy with the converter and the seal leaked slightly. I'm no expert on these at all but working on heavy machines for most of my life I have plenty of hydraulic experience.
So the question is the accumulater has no spring and it seems to me it should. I have an old FSM for trucks that says no spring for that in a 440 application. Is that a truck thing or all 440 stock applications?
I believe there should be a spring there.

Some have springs. Some don't. Really not a big deal. The spring slows down the accumulator piston softening engagement. I think you'll find a rear band or rear servo issue is your cause of failure.
Doug

so I finally got around to pulling the trans out of the charger after the no 1st/no reverse issue. I pulled it because I wasn't happy with the converter and the seal leaked slightly. I'm no expert on these at all but working on heavy machines for most of my life I have plenty of hydraulic experience.
So the question is the accumulater has no spring and it seems to me it should. I have an old FSM for trucks that says no spring for that in a 440 application. Is that a truck thing or all 440 stock applications?
I believe there should be a spring there.
Accumulator Spring makes it shift softer, no spring shifts harder, put a solid spacer instead of a spring shifts really hard. air check the rear servo, just remove the valvebody and hit the hole with about 50 psi air. Watch the servo work and listen for leaks.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the servo but I haven't checked it yet. It just seemed strange that it had no spring. But thats my experience working with machines that have higher pressures

I usually left the accumulator spring out for builds for my buddies. I found that putting the blocker rod in made the shifts too hard, especially part throttle around town, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back