• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi Accessories

70chall440

Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
I am doing some research for the 5.7 crate engine I bought to put into my 71 Charger and am currently looking at the accessories (alternator, PS pump, AC compressor). I see the Mopar sells some kits but I am wondering what you guys are using.

I appreciate any advice, pictures and/or comments.

For experimenting with car and truck fmea I bought used off eBay. You have to sift through corroded stuff but can save yourself a ton.

What I am wondering is if there are different configurations with the accessories, or perhaps better said what configurations are there? I am sure my crate engine is set up to take a specific set of accessories such as those offered by Mopar but I am just not sure. In other words, I don't know what I don't know.

crate engines are setup for car accessories , if you want truck accessories you would have to change the timing cover and intake to run them
are you running power steering or manual ? you can get a power steering pump from 14 and down i believe , after that its just an idler arm because they started using electric steering
are you running a/c ? i think the same goes for that stay with 09-14 after that they used a variable speed compressor(something to the affect)

crate engines are setup for car accessories , if you want truck accessories you would have to change the timing cover and intake to run them
are you running power steering or manual ? you can get a power steering pump from 14 and down i believe , after that its just an idler arm because they started using electric steering
are you running a/c ? i think the same goes for that stay with 09-14 after that they used a variable speed compressor(something to the affect)

Thanks, yes I will be running PS and AC. I appreciate the information, its helpful. Mopar has kits for the alternator, PS and AC. I intend to use factory suspension with probably Firm Feel components or perhaps a Borgensen box.

Following....same car, manual steering no a/c

For manual steer no ac get the later engine witj elec ps and then there's a dorman ac delete pulley or you can do rerouting of the belt.
You can use car intake with truck fmea but you have to grind the fmea a bit. Holley is also now making some alt brackets

Pretty sure I wrote in another of your threads they oem ac lines at least will guy engine mount, maybe compressor as well. I haven't seen photos of a ps ac conversion, I'd like to because my fury will be that way

I already have the engine, just trying to figure out what I need to do for accessories.

i used fittings similar to these on a javelin hemi swap with vintage air and make your own ac line kit
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/gen-iii-hemi-ac-compressor-5-7-and-6-4-non-variable-copy-2/

Thanks. AC is something I don't really know crap about other than recharging it. I will undoubtedly will make my own lines as i do with all of my lines. I do not have now but am supposed to be getting the HVAC box for the car, my question is whether you can use a factory box or not?

Does anyone know if the Mopar crate engine PS pump will work with a factory box, or maybe a better question is does anyone know how much pressure that pump makes?

The factory Gen3 Hemi pump puts out around 16-1800 psi. You can get valve to lower the pressure for use in a factory type steering box. There are people who haven’t done anything to lower the pressure and do not have any problems. Also a GM type 2 pump will bolt on to the head/timing cover if ya just enlarge the mounting holes on the pump, hone out the factory Hemi pump pulley then use -6 pressure line/-6 return line.

I just watched a video on using a LS type 2 pump which might be the way I go. I also watched a video on using a Jeep Cherokee alternator which looks like a good way to go as well.

Thanks. AC is something I don't really know crap about other than recharging it. I will undoubtedly will make my own lines as i do with all of my lines. I do not have now but am supposed to be getting the HVAC box for the car, my question is whether you can use a factory box or not?
Not sure how much this will help but I installed a 6.1 in my 68 Charger a few years ago with the 06 SRT8 Alternator, and compressor. The PS pump was broken so I bought one from Bouchillon along with the pan, headers, engine mounts, etc. I used my factory AC box with the Gen III compressor. I purchased a new condenser and new expansion valve but used the old evaporator and heater box controls and R134. It works great. I used a gen III PS pump but upgraded to the Borgeson gear for a few reasons. 1. Pressure issues, 2. Header tubes hitting on the larger factory gear. 3. Better ratio. Here are a couple pics of my set-up.

100_6855.JPG 100_6857.JPG 100_7357.JPG

Not sure how much this will help but I installed a 6.1 in my 68 Charger a few years ago with the 06 SRT8 Alternator, and compressor. The PS pump was broken so I bought one from Bouchillon along with the pan, headers, engine mounts, etc. I used my factory AC box with the Gen III compressor. I purchased a new condenser and new expansion valve but used the old evaporator and heater box controls and R134. It works great. I used a gen III PS pump but upgraded to the Borgeson gear for a few reasons. 1. Pressure issues, 2. Header tubes hitting on the larger factory gear. 3. Better ratio. Here are a couple pics of my set-up.

View attachment 1029678 View attachment 1029681 View attachment 1029682

That you very much, it is very helpful and gives me an excellent visualization of how everything lays out. I don't know if the 5.7 is identical but from what I see in your pictures and my own research it looks pretty close.

I really appreciate the information on the HVAC system, I would rather use the stock box and controls over a new system. I need to do more research on this subject.

Did the ac fit with the oem ps steering box?

Well now I am back to this issue looking to acquire what I need to put onto the engine. I just looked at Holleys new "mid mount" accessory kit which I REALLY like but I don't think I want to spend $1800 on it. I do know that I am going to run the Type II PS pump bc I am going to run a Hydroboost system and a Borgeson box.

That type 2 pump will bolt on after you enlarge the 3 mounting holes a bit.

That’s the mounting holes on the pump. Just trying to be more clear.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back