• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 truck swap into a 67 coronet

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Is there a compendium of sorts on this swap and all of the various tips, needs etc?
I mean a thread that explains it with all the pitfalls and what exactly needs to be done to facilitate this swap?
If so, please enlighten me.

Well....no, probably not. I'd say that you're in for an adventure sir! Perfect car choice, and motor. I'm following this one intently.....

Go to the new hemi section, 5.7, 6.1, 6.4 all this new engines in old mopars in treads here with the do and the don't, lot of members here that can provide info about this swap, one of the major issues that I see (I want a new hemi for my Coronet too) is the transmission choice,
This guy knows this stuff very well :poke: @5.7 hemi

I am doing a similar swap a 5.7 in my 77 step side, Midnight express truck.
I would totally put a gen 3 in my 69 Charger, but I am waiting on a 6.4.
For me, the biggest challenge is because I want to keep efi, and I cant afford the $1800 Mopar install kit, I need to figure out ecu/drive by wire issue, then the 727, needs a throttle valve cable.
If using a carb, well then MSD hemi 6, and an intake manifold, and your got it(fuel wise)

Ghostrider 67, Are you planning carb or EFI?

I am doing a similar swap a 5.7 in my 77 step side, Midnight express truck.
I would totally put a gen 3 in my 69 Charger, but I am waiting on a 6.4.
For me, the biggest challenge is because I want to keep efi, and I cant afford the $1800 Mopar install kit, I need to figure out ecu/drive by wire issue, then the 727, needs a throttle valve cable.
If using a carb, well then MSD hemi 6, and an intake manifold, and your got it(fuel wise)

Ghostrider 67, Are you planning carb or EFI?
Whatever is in the truck now. EFI I guess

After reading through Caterpillars thread on his 70 RR I don't think I will be doing this. Too expensive.

In the truck now is the 2bbl 318, runs great, but a 5.7 is like 350HP vs 318 150HP, LOL, then there is the cool factor.

With the truck, I care less about rigging things correctly (looks wise)
and playing around while I get things correct, then with the Charger.
If I can find a 518(4x4) that would be another good mod to my truck, getting OD!.

I pulled my 5.7 from a 2005 Chrysler 300. I grabbed all harnesses and the pcm, but I forgot to grab the gas pedal.

For your Coronet there are a bunch of ways to go about the swap.
If money permits, the Mopar performance install kit, is SUPER NICE. plug and play for our cars.
But the Pcm comes programmed for manual trans.

Do you have a Gen3 Hemi yet?
Also what transmission do you plan on using?
I think Mopar sells the crate 345 for $6500, its 383HP and 410tq
The wire/pcm kit is like $1700.
I just dont have that kind of cash.

If I was gonna go carb, I like the OCP duel plane intake.
IMG_2196.119210501_std.jpg

Most carb intakes are single plane, and thats fine, but in a truck, or street car, IMO, I like the extra torque of the duel plane.

After I finished typing reply, I saw you your post about changing your mind, LOL.

Yes it gets $$$$ fast.
Another reason I decided to keep my 383. Even if someone gave you a new 345 crate Hemi, its has to be $3-4k in extra stuff to make it work.

In the truck, I can take my time, (I have had the Hemi 1.5 years already,) and TRY to keep costs down.
As I am retrofitting used parts, and will try to use the 2005 factory pcm, even if I have to get a new tune for it, it should be much cheaper, only time will tell.

In the truck now is the 2bbl 318, runs great, but a 5.7 is like 350HP vs 318 150HP, LOL, then there is the cool factor.

With the truck, I care less about rigging things correctly (looks wise)
and playing around while I get things correct, then with the Charger.
If I can find a 518(4x4) that would be another good mod to my truck, getting OD!.

I pulled my 5.7 from a 2005 Chrysler 300. I grabbed all harnesses and the pcm, but I forgot to grab the gas pedal.

For your Coronet there are a bunch of ways to go about the swap.
If money permits, the Mopar performance install kit, is SUPER NICE. plug and play for our cars.
But the Pcm comes programmed for manual trans.

Do you have a Gen3 Hemi yet?
Also what transmission do you plan on using?
I think Mopar sells the crate 345 for $6500, its 383HP and 410tq
The wire/pcm kit is like $1700.
I just dont have that kind of cash.
I have this truck, seen yesterday pulling an empty hay wagon. 2008 Ram Big Horn 5.7 Quad cab. Automatic. 4x4.

0709201059c.jpg

I guess I thought that everything that's in the truck now that makes the HEMI & trans work, would be swapped over to the Express, nothing extra needed. My car has a 2004 Audi A 6 dash, complete. I figured all of the wiring and controls units could be brought over and incorporated into the modern dash. The only thing I thought would need to be modified would be the K frame, trans mount, and possibly floor pan tunnel. Am I wrong? I'm not needing to marry the thing to a 1967 dash.

The drive train from your ram would be a great swap to my 77 Midnight express/Warlock clone.
one thing with using the stock PCM, in an older vehicle is SOMETIMES with the new vehicles it has the PATS system, where you need the "chip" in the key for the thing to start, that can be a headache to overcome in some swaps.

The install kit Mopar sells is for the outside(engine bay) not for any gauges(except the sensors required by pcm to run the engine) Its the engine harness, with fuse block, and relays.

So for the gen 3 to run in your car, AND have the dash gauges work, you probably have to "T" into every sensor, and add the OE sending units, so one signal goes to Gen 3 Hemi PCM, and one signal, via your "T" to the dash gauges.

You can get around this with a modern set of aftermarket gauges, (that run on same voltage as the factory gen 3 pcm signal)
Or to run a Diablo/Tunner via the OBD2 port, the screen on tunner can be set to act as gauges, but not as cool as dash gauges.

For install of just the Gen 3 engine, in your Coronet, they make engine mount kits, for it to bolt right in on stock K frame.

If you are using a modern automatic trans, as what is in the ram(minus the transfer case)
then I am fairly certain major torsion bar/ trans crossmember surgery is required.
I have always drew the line at hacking up my car, not do to fear of welding, but I just dont wish to cut up my car.
So as far as a modern automatic transmission going in our B bodys, I know very little in that area.

I did fit a 1998 5.9 V8 and 46re trans in a 73 Challenger, and I just did some minor grinding on the transmission case and hammer work on tunnel, and it fit fine, I had to make a new transmission mount, but didnt have to cut anything on the body.
I know that was an E Body, not a B.
I have been told,or I have read, but I don't know if its true, that an E body is wider and the engine is mounted a touch forward then our B bodys

Here is my truck, it is being worked on when cash permits. It runs fine and I use it now, but its a work in progress, I just added the cab roof lights. I have the stacks, and wood bed kit yet to install. I was holding off on the stacks till the Hemi gets dropped in, as the previous owner just has new duel exhaust installed.
IMG_1984.JPG

Last edited:
Any photos of the dash your talking about?

Yes. My build thread is in the Restomods section.
The Yankee Express.

298302-1bcafbbf4765639d566cc17b1fb34f5d.jpg
298725-06c97978736f9d082bf39eafad0ff08b.jpg
298726-4d97a0d198583129b16696489a568dc5.jpg
298727-bc3a8ebe7093638e41c46e2713120ea5.jpg
298729-53617228ea26b41068c2cbdee92185b3.jpg

Last edited:
There's a build thread on here for a 70 Plymouth where he tried to use all the oem stuff, dash and all from a 300c. He ended up with hotwire harness. It's worth the read, many years old but shows the difficulty with just oem stuff even when you have the whole donor.

There's a build thread on here for a 70 Plymouth where he tried to use all the oem stuff, dash and all from a 300c. He ended up with hotwire harness. It's worth the read, many years old but shows the difficulty with just oem stuff even when you have the whole donor.
Thanks!

That would be my thread "B Body Stiffening" in the Resto Mod forum. The BIGGEST issue with these new Hemi/auto trans package swaps is the speed sensors and tone rings. Without them the transmission won't know what the engine is doing so it just limps. After market TCMs are available for this via "www.soundgermanengineering.com". i discuss all of this pretty good in my build thread. The last entry I made a few weeks back tells of how well the car has performed, check it out!
If you do the modern dash or not, this will still be the same problem. I do discuss my problem with using the complete harness and the instrument cluster from an 07 Charger

Auto Transport Service
Back