• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

502" build open for criticism

Andrew

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
440 Mopar w/ stroker crank yielding 502"
.060 over diamond forged aluminum pistons
10.5:1 compression
Edelbrock RPM Perf heads out of box (not ported)
Comp magnum steel roller rockers (rated for 350 lbs open spring pressure??)
.355 rear w/ 4 speed transmision
3500 lb. 70 Coronet R/T
1300 cfm 6 pack carbs/edelbrock alum intake -

Probably comp cam 23-711-9 or 23-712-9 hyd roller. (both about .540 lift)

Mainly street car but would like to get down 1/4 mi. asap.

Any obvious mismatch or suggestions?

What rods are you going to use?
Have you looked into 440 source?...I stroked my 440 to 500ci and droped almost 8g's with me doing almost all of the work..Then I found out about 440 source,I could have built the same motor for almost half.....I only went 30.thou ...leaves room for anther rebuild down the road.
You could go
4.350 = 30.thou
4.15 stroke
6.76 Rod
=500ci
Stealth heads
Total $2566.00
But I do think they offer bigger if you want it

http://store.440source.com/

Just so you know their Cylinder heads are rated as one of the Top Ten aftermarket Mopar parts for 2009 by Mopar Collectors Guide Magazine :)

Interesting...similar build to what I plan,but with a 3.75" stroke crank and a hydraulic cam;my intended CR will be similar,and I like the "OEM" look of the Stealth pieces,but have heard of issues with required machine work and such. Another topic for another time...

I'll be following this thread closely;good luck with your build.

I found a good deal on an eagle crank 4.15 and rods 6.76 with diamond pistons .060 over and already have the heads. I think my main concern is in the cam.

Comp Cam #s:

23-711-9 lift 541/537 Duration @ 50 230/236 Maybe
23-712-9 lift 544/541 Duration @ 50 236/242 Maybe
23-713-9 lift 549/544 Duration @ 50 242/248 Pro Street/ Bracket prob not for me

Any more lift than the 712 and I will need to replace the rockers which I would rather avoid unless I can really step it up a notch performance wise and still be streetable.

I'm open to other than comp cams if anyone has a suggestion. Also any info on how these cams will differ due to varied duration, lift, etc. with regards to a 500" motor would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like you are using the factory style six pack intake. You may have to be careful with cam selection. I can't say for sure what's optimum but worth investigating. Otherwise sounds good.

I am using the factory style 6 pack. What is the concern there? Shuold I change the jets?

Hi Andrew, sounds like a good combo. I would double check the spring press required with the comp. roller. If its close to or higher than the 350lbs you will gall the rocker arms @ around 6 grand, did that myself. If your 6 pak is fresh i would try it as it is for a base line. Unless you dyno your combo it will be very difficult to dial in the carbs over the net. I would suggest changing out the metering plates in the end carbs to the replacement style with replaceable jets. I think "Pro max Carbs" offered a kit for conversion that fit. I have been away from the 6 pak stuff for a while so its not fresh in my mind. I am sure someone on the forum will have that info or you can check in some old mopar action mags as they did a conversion a few years back. But even with a conversion the only way to dial it in 100% is on the dyno, either an engine dyno or a chassis dyno when your ride is together. The data makes a big difference in performance and it will run a hell of a lot better than guessing. Good luck.

Thanks, I just Requested availability of backorders for that and related articles. Looks like relevant info.

Andrew, you can get them all free on line. That build is very close to yours except for a the cam and rockers. They put together a lot of good b-body info on that project.

I went to the site you posted and it seemed to only give the cover and contents, but I'' poke around some more.

I found a good deal on an eagle crank 4.15 and rods 6.76 with diamond pistons .060 over and already have the heads. I think my main concern is in the cam.

Comp Cam #s:

23-711-9 lift 541/537 Duration @ 50 230/236 Maybe
23-712-9 lift 544/541 Duration @ 50 236/242 Maybe
23-713-9 lift 549/544 Duration @ 50 242/248 Pro Street/ Bracket prob not for me

Any more lift than the 712 and I will need to replace the rockers which I would rather avoid unless I can really step it up a notch performance wise and still be streetable.

I'm open to other than comp cams if anyone has a suggestion. Also any info on how these cams will differ due to varied duration, lift, etc. with regards to a 500" motor would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a part # for the Pistons?? The math doesn't work for me, you would be 499/500ci not 502ci and your comp ratio would be 10.61 based on 88cc heads, 86cc would be 10.79 and the only other option for thoes heads would be 84cc and you would have a compression ratio of 10.98 ...If you don't have a part # do you know how far below deck you would be?
If you had a 4.380 Bore 6.76 Rod and had a 4.25 stroke and not a 4.15 you could get 10.5:1

Last edited:
Interesting...similar build to what I plan,but with a 3.75" stroke crank and a hydraulic cam;my intended CR will be similar,and I like the "OEM" look of the Stealth pieces,but have heard of issues with required machine work and such. Another topic for another time...

I'll be following this thread closely;good luck with your build.

Did you know that the 3.75 stroke is stock for the 440?

Sundance, You're right. Would 500.2" make more sense? I do not have a part # for the pistons. I am purchasing them from Mancini Racing. They are a forged Diamond piston, I will try to get the part # Monday, assuming they are closed Sat.

The chambers are 84cc. I was under the impression with a longer stroke the comp ratio would go up. Anyway, if it is in fact 10.98:1, am I pushing my luck with pump gas?

Any oiling mods planned, special pan, block mods etc? are you studding the bllock at the crank and or heads?

:sSig_nicethread: lurking and learning...good discourse here

Did you know that the 3.75 stroke is stock for the 440?

Oh,yeah;wasn't planning on a stroker-but...if a 4.15" crankshaft found its way into my garage,well,you know;it'd be a stroker. And,there'd be some Venolia pistons for open-chamber heads and 3.75" stroke going on the classifieds.

I'm curious about differences in the various dynamics between a stock-stroke 440 vs. a 4.15"/4.25" setup. I realize air flow requirements and piston speed are major factors in the change. I know that would alter desired cam opening/closing rates and specs as well. Not my thread,so I'm not asking for that info,unless it's of help to Andrew's build.

Al, It absolutely would help my build, and I'm curious about the same thing, anyone??? As far as oiling mods go, I am planning on planning on something. again open to suggestions.

Smithtown on L.I. in N.Y?

The deal with the 6 pac carbs are the idle issues with the center carb. It's not exactly a carb to be useing a racey cam adnd idle problems can crop up with the not so great match.

The secondaries are just like a 4bbl, just spread apart.

I don't know nothin about B/RB oil mods. I'd like to know.

Dick Landy seems to think on a performance built 440 oiling mods are in order so i ran milodon external pick up on mine

Auto Transport Service
Back