• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 Barrell a/f ratio adjusting tool

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
I know this needs to go in the parts wanted section, but here goes. Someone used to make a hand made tool to adjust the rear carb a/f screws. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one.

IMG_9200.jpeg

I just adjust the front carb swap it to with the rear and then adjust the other one on the front.

In the early 80's, I modified a tool that was for adjusting points on Delco distributors. Can't remember if it was made by Cal Van, Thexton or another company. Anyway, it was about a foot long with a twist knob up top, had a 90* angle gear drive on the other end with a hex key tip sized for Delco points. I figured, hey, I'll pull the hex end out and put a short stub of pocket screwdriver in instead. Worked great. Gave it away some years back to a guy who had a six pack since I didn't need it anymore.

I know this needs to go in the parts wanted section, but here goes. Someone used to make a hand made tool to adjust the rear carb a/f screws. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one.
It was actually a member here who was making limited quantities of them. I believe it was a pre-order deal, and he needed to make at least 20 or so to make the exercise worthwhile.

This is going back a good ten years now.

Last edited:
I bought this one a while ago. I didn't have much luck with it. I used the stock adjustment needles with a small flex screw driver instead. I would try a small flex driver with a 90 degree attachment first.

IMG_1020 (1).jpg

IMG_1024 (1).jpg

IMG_1026 (1).jpg

Are you willing to part with that one. Let me know.
There was a similar device....try McMaster-Carr or maybe Grainger. What I remember...it's a "ball driver" device, like an Allen wrench, but a similar hex, like an Allen wrench, but semi-spherical hex ball end, so it can work at an angle, but have a flexible shaft and a screwdriver type handle....maybe 6"-8" overall length.
It's only needed for the rear carb, as the front carb screws are accessible after removing the lead caps. OR just use the PROMAX carb base with the angled screws on the rear carb only....95% of the time, once set, these screws USUALLY don't need readjusted again.....just my suggestion.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back