• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Barrell Carb Question

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
1970 440 six barrell. I needed to take the center carb off last nite. Of course one of the fuel inlets was turning when I was removing the fuel line. It's tough to get a wrench solidly on the inlet. Does Holley or someone make a tool for that occasion.

There are some out there. Check the images in a search..........

I did what @Mattax did with a box end but it can still be a bit tough while on the car......

This might be worth a try
A8DB1D50-24ED-4D92-9BF0-6A067D05BABA.jpeg

This might be worth a tryView attachment 1507159
I've always been able to remove the center carb without any difficulties...BUT... proper tools sre required. ABSOLUTELY USE A FLARE NUT WRENCH (on the tubing nut).....AND a 11/16" (MAC TOOLS) 4 sided open end wrench....its thin enough to fit the Holley hex head fuel bowl inlet fitting, without rounding off the corners. ALWAYS replace the fiber gasket under the bowl inlet fitting and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN....bowl threads are delicate.......and....when reassembling, back up the bowl fitting with the 11/16" wrench when tightening the fuel line nut....with a FLARE NUT WRENCH......use NO tape or thread dope on the flsred connection.....assembly dry....in spite of what others profess......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

I would disconnect it from the Tee instead.
this!!!!!!!!! once the flare nut/bowl fitting is sealed up never touch it. original 6pak bowl fittings had a hex on the center and rear carb to tighten the fitting up but jacking with the fitting after everything is sealed up is a can of worms.

this!!!!!!!!! once the flare nut/bowl fitting is sealed up never touch it. original 6pak bowl fittings had a hex on the center and rear carb to tighten the fitting up but jacking with the fitting after everything is sealed up is a can of worms.
^^^ glad you mentioned that

Do you have a Mac tools part number for that 11/16 wrench?

1691667587174.png

The S-141 comes up blank on a search at MAC.

Maybe(?)......................

I just took an old regular wrench and ground it down flatter and thinner so that it fit works perfectly

Pics of my tool, works great.
I will say I used to play around with these things back in the day, as Mentioned by R J
if you crack open the big nut replace the gasket but do not over tighten!
Hold it with the tool when you tighten the flair nut.
No big deal.
I tuned my carbs for the last time around 10 years ago... starts and runs like a dream to this day..

20230810_105610.jpg

20230810_105436.jpg
2_IMG_2821.jpg

Last edited:
Good advice from Bob and others above. ALWAYS use two wenches - " back up" the fitting. This is actually standard practice.

I'm going to start a new club when I retire -

Society for Building Things As High Quality as they were After World War II.

Auto Transport Service
Back