• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60 years of wrenching doesn't a mechanic make...

75greenCordoba

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Would someone familiar with a Cordoba explain exactly how to release the windshield wiper arms on my '75. I am anxious to work on the linkage but haven't figured out how to get 'dem arms off. Thanks, Ken

If they are anything like all other wiper arms I've ever come across, they are on a tapered spline, but the spring pressure of the wipers holds them tight.
You need to release the spring pressure by lifting the wiper and then gently prise them off.
I use a window trim removal tool with a bit of tape on the end to stop scratches.

Ladies figure in the toolbox will do the trick but first relieve the tension on the spring.

Run the wipers up to mid point, shut key off and lift the arm and at the bottom there is a little spring loaded latch you have to pull out to release the arm from the spline and it pops off. That little lever snaps back. A small pick works well if you have one with the angled tip and hold the lever out and wiggle the arm off the spline.

The 60's and very early 70's cars had to use a tool to remove the wiper arms as pictured below. But in the early 70's they incorporated a little lever on the underside of the arm. You slide it out and the spring tension of the arm will rest on the lever allowing you to pull straight up at the splines, as the previous poster 64fury74charger described.

IMG_0463fdffd.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks to all of you that replied. Later today I will be out there trying to put your advice into practice. Ken

My memories foggy but I think you are looking for a small arm about 1 inch or so long that you swing out and it unlocks the arm so it will lift off the post.

My memories foggy but I think you are looking for a small arm about 1 inch or so long that you swing out and it unlocks the arm so it will lift off the post.
Thanks, sorry it has taken so long to reply. Yes, there appears to be latches that are hinged but I'm having trouble unlatching them. I have seen where lifting the arm away from the glass but these "hidden" latches would require removing the hood to get enough room to clear the catch points. I'll keep gently looking for the secret. Thanks, Ken

I know zilch about Cordoba's, but I am familiar with '70s-'80s dodge pickups and they have a little wedge/tab thing that holds the arm on the splines, maybe this is how yours is?
Here's a vid that shows the "wedge"

WD-40 is your friend after the blanket on the cowl. The little latch gets corroded often.

Thanks, sorry it has taken so long to reply. Yes, there appears to be latches that are hinged but I'm having trouble unlatching them. I have seen where lifting the arm away from the glass but these "hidden" latches would require removing the hood to get enough room to clear the catch points. I'll keep gently looking for the secret. Thanks, Ken
Finally, thanks to all that offered advice.

The arms were secured by a keeper arrangement as suggested by several of you. The latch mechanism was cleared to open by raising the arm against the spring pressure. But, given the arm contacted the hood of the car before lifting far enough to clear that tab on the lever, I had to remove the three bolts holding the pivot to the firewall and inserted 2 long 10-24 cap screws in their place. Then I was able to slide the pivot downward and thus be able to get a greater angle that cleared the tab to open the latch and the arm popped off the pivot. That part of the job done!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Auto Transport Service
Back