1. Ernie Rogers

Ernie Rogers Member

Local Time:
    9:28 AM
    Just purchased a 62 Polara 500, in process of getting running and driving. Mostly original car. Was green but person i purchased from wanted it white. I'm ok with that:)

IMG_7863.JPG IMG_7862.JPG IMG_7861.JPG IMG_7860.JPG IMG_7859.JPG IMG_7856.JPG IMG_7861.JPG IMG_7858.JPG IMG_7855.JPG

• Like Like x 9
    • 66/440

66/440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:28 AM
      Wow, nice car. Padded dash and everything...your stylin now!

• glassman

glassman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:28 AM
      Here we go again , as if my 62 Plymouth wagon called Thunder Wagon wasn't enough, I went out and bought a 62 Savoy 2 door to make a clone of my High School car that I drove everyday to school. The Grey Ghost. Isky cam, headers, sure grip, re arched springs, and more. I bet that Sled City will have some fiberglass on this car, and I just supplied Cleyon a set of race weight fiberglass bumpers for his car . It's great to be able to make body parts for these cars and save them from the crusher.

• Like Like x 3
      • Stumper

Stumper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I came around to the 62 somewhere around 2006-7 after a lifetime of “ I’d never be caught dead in one” . A year or so later I came across one that became my money pit. Over built it to the hilt and after enjoying it for 4 years or so let it go - at a huge loss. They are certainly not a car for everyone. You kinda either love them or hate them I think. That said I’d love to have another one, that I’d try to be a lot smarter with....

• Like Like x 1
        • khryslerkid

khryslerkid FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          They were the "Red Headed Step Child" of the day. It was a turning point for Chrysler trying to be competitive with Ford and GM when they heard a rumor they might be downsizing one of their models. So the rush was on to design a downsized car from the normal size. Many people were used to the large platform vehicle and weren't too sure about a smaller one. That hurt sales more than anything but it soon became the future for midsize models. There's much more about the story on how everything took place for the '62 model and it's what makes the '62 so unique. So much history in just this one vehicle and that's what makes it so desirable to some once you know what actually took place.

I was looking for an investment and wanted a classic car to restore. I found mine by accident, not being my favorite Chrysler product I made the deal and I've not regretted it one bit. I still have a desire for a '65 Satellite but they're mostly out of my price range.

My '62 will always have a place in my heart for being one of my favorites and it wasn't one before I owned it.

• Like Like x 2
          • glassman

glassman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            Was it Exner who designed this 62 style?

• Agree Agree x 1
            • khryslerkid

Local Time:
              I don't remember all the details, there's several articles out there. IIRC Exner might have had a heart attack halfway through the designing and the young designers had to finish things while he was recovering. Don't remember where I read that. I'll try to find these articles in my free time. It's been a few years.

• khryslerkid

Local Time:
              • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.