• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Only

Interesting that Canadian 62 Plymouths got Dodge Dart dash and trim - as here in Australia, Chrysler imported the 1962 "Dodge Phoenix", which was a 4 door Dart but with Plymouth dash and trim - another variety of Plodge. Does anybody know if UK or South Africa imported RH drive 1962 models?

Here is my take on the factory dual-inline quad engine availability in 1962 (that sounds a little like Mythbusters)
The 300H engine in '62 B-Body as a factory option has been discussed here many times. IMO, official recognition as an available option would be proved by factory option codes, a build sheet, factory documentation, advertising material etc. any of which I have never seen. There was a road test done in March 1962 by Car Life on a 1962 Dart 330 2dr hardtop (that I have uploaded here on several occasions) that claimed "413 engines with 365, 385 or 410 bhp are available as regular production options".
Definitive proof that Chrysler produced them? Maybe, maybe not. We all know Chrysler produced lots of specials that were not officially available, and that dealers too could fit all sorts of "factory authorised speed equipment". Then there is lots of anecdotal evidence and stories of them from the day.
My conclusion is that it's possible that some factory cars may have been built this way, perhaps as experimentals or as special orders by customers with some "sway".
The nay sayers will say that because there is no official documentation of such a model, then they were never produced.

See why I quoted your name! Well writen:thumbsup:
Did you ever get a build card for your car?

Actually I think the price went down by half. Was it not about $40,000 in 2007 the year I was there, and just over $20,000 in 2017? If this car was upgraded at the dealer with a 413 someone paid way to much! Maybe if we wait 10 more years it will be worth less. Would not surprise me! It appears if there is "the real thing" this is probably not it!

Ok, that explains the years it was sold. I had it backwards. The car shows more wear now than before. The last auction description doesn't mention the factory installed 413. States that it was an upgrade.

Do I have it right? Lol (This topic always causes a lot of debate and confusion. Got to love it!)

Last edited:
According to NHRA the Dodge only was avail with the inline 413, they were rated at 385 or 394, the 394 version had the J heads and 1.74 exhaust valve like the inline 383. They were supposed dealer installed for racing and police work. I have a set of the 3258 and 3259 carbs which show 62 Dodge when specs are found. I have both the low and raised block manis and did quite a bit of testing on the street and strip back in the 80s and 90s.

Never thought about looking it up in the NHRA books. Does it specify which body the 413 engine was in?

I used an original 413, 2x4 manifold on my 440. Engine sounds good but I don't have it on the road yet. I know it's not the latest thing now days but how do they rate? I'm useing two 600 eddies.

Never thought about looking it up in the NHRA books. Does it specify which body the 413 engine was in?

I used an original 413, 2x4 manifold on my 440. Engine sounds good but I don't have it on the road yet. I know it's not the latest thing now days but how do they rate? I'm useing two 600 eddies.
Click on 1962 and find it there http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=46635&zoneid=132 The 3258 and 59 flow 445 and 450 CFM on my flow bench, the 600s are a bit big for this mani IMO. I have a set of the 58 350 carbs which are just a hair smaller and guess they are around 425 CFM but never had them on my bench. The jetting is very staggered for these carbs from the factory. Back in the mid 90s a friend built an NHRA 383/343 stocker and used my carbs and mani, it took a couple of months racing time runs every weekend to get the jetting right for racing, we were soldering and drilling them right in the staging lanes. We used a Torker mani and a Holley 800 DP for reference, we got the inline to run within about 3 hundreth's of the Holley and I was very pleased with that, when we started it was about 2 tenths slower. My mani is dated NOV 1957 so considering it's age as well as Chrysler's first year for the BB it's a pretty impressive piece.

See why I quoted your name! Well writen:thumbsup:
Did you ever get a build card for your car?

Ok, that explains the years it was sold. I had it backwards. The car shows more wear now than before. The last auction description doesn't mention the factory installed 413. States that it was an upgrade.

Do I have it right? Lol (This topic always causes a lot of debate and confusion. Got to love it!)
I think you got it! It is a mystery? I'm inciuding a list of engines Haggerty claimed came in 62 Dodges

IMG_1981.PNG

I got a handful of cash and on my way to the Florida Mopar/Garlits swap meet. I know there wont be much as far as 62s but i will take pictures when i find one. Plus i know joe is bringing me a lot of parts.

20171111_123834.jpg
20171111_123853.jpg
Saw Big Daddy Don at the Florida Mopar meet today took lots of picture of 62s none were as outrageous as this Valiant blown Hemi, Lenco transmission, perfect paint and interior.

Does that picture of Garlits 1962 look like the driver is not even wearing helmet????? neato

I JUST found a 62 Polara (White) in my Local "Remote Calif Mojave Desert area" with original Black plates
Sinfully, I have two 63s cuz they are easier to find and perhaps more UGLY (Reads Desirable... Ha Ha)
more to come

What I've read is that Chrysler informed NHRA of all their possible engine combinations so racers had as many cards in their hand as possible even though many were never actually produced.

nodust - that list by Haggertys is horseshit.

Click on 1962 and find it there http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=46635&zoneid=132 The 3258 and 59 flow 445 and 450 CFM on my flow bench, the 600s are a bit big for this mani IMO. I have a set of the 58 350 carbs which are just a hair smaller and guess they are around 425 CFM but never had them on my bench. The jetting is very staggered for these carbs from the factory. Back in the mid 90s a friend built an NHRA 383/343 stocker and used my carbs and mani, it took a couple of months racing time runs every weekend to get the jetting right for racing, we were soldering and drilling them right in the staging lanes. We used a Torker mani and a Holley 800 DP for reference, we got the inline to run within about 3 hundreth's of the Holley and I was very pleased with that, when we started it was about 2 tenths slower. My mani is dated NOV 1957 so considering it's age as well as Chrysler's first year for the BB it's a pretty impressive piece.

Diodedog, I restored my 3258/3259 combination a while ago and the jets/step-up rods were badly pitted with corrosion and needed replacing. I found they were unavailable, so I did the calculations to find the closest equivalent combinations in the Edelbrock range. I'm yet to fit an AFR meter to fine tune but on the road/plug reading it seems OK..

Is the staggering of the jetting between rear and front carbs done purely to correct uneven distribution of the manifold or because there are emulsifiers, venturi or air bleed differences between 3258 and 3259? I wonder if I will require primary jetting changes with my planned addition of a PCV valve?

peakandscoot - sorry to take thread off topic - I posted my questions here -
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/factory-dual-quad-jetting-tuning.141167/

Last edited:
I got a handful of cash and on my way to the Florida Mopar/Garlits swap meet. I know there wont be much as far as 62s but i will take pictures when i find one. Plus i know joe is bringing me a lot of parts.
What did you buy?

What did you buy?
I ended up buying a lot of things i needed to finish. I got the truck seal, the door seals, the convertible top seals, visors, window felt, kick down rod for the trans, picked up every line and block for the brakes. I put the 4 wheel disk on but still needed all everything forward of the calipers. When i started i had a pretty perfect original body but the underside had been stripped so i had no lines or blocks and sorry to the purists but i had no intention of running 4 drums and a single master cylinder. Also picked up some 15 inch stock mopar rims and assorted nuts bolts and rubbers. When it comes downs to it nothing real flashy but a lot of essentials. I also didnt buy it yet but i may have found my next project for my son. 59 plymouth suburban 2 door station wagon. Runs like brand new without any noticeable engine work, complete glass but needs some floor pan work a complete gut job on the inside. the outer body had some Lower rocker rust but he already had the replacement rockers and the body needed work but no major damage, it came with a donor and im not sure how much trim was missing. I like to keep all my trim and 60 year old trim maybe hard to find. I just got my car off the roteccery and im not sure i want to put it back to work just yet. besides my 62 i have a thing for 2 door wagons. That one will take some thought and a lot of investigating before i commit.

Auto Transport Service
Back