• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Only

I'm too cheap for that... i wanna do it once and be done :)
Be like me and change your wheels and tires like changing your socks.
Can never have too many sets. Yeah, I am a wheel and tire junky....
:)

Mods feel free to delete this if it's not allowed, but I just wanted to point the attention of my fellow 62 lovers to the Mopars For Sale section as I'm parting with my 62 Fury convertible. This is such a great community, but unfortunately priorities are needing to shift. Any tips or suggestions are warranted in that thread or by PM. Thanks gang!

That thing is beautiful.... still trying to pic rims for my '62... leaning to cop rims..
This is my relatively stock cop car look 62 Dart 440 work in progress.

PB150003.JPG

This is the car that started it all for me, this pic taken in HS 1969, car was lost in a flood when in college. It's a 62 Polara 500 with a 413 dual 4bbl Long Rams, Crane cam w/ a Varicam timing, 3.91 Suregrip, I added a front sway bar, big front drums, has a 727, and my own custom-built functional fiberglass hood scoop (which I still have today), and a rear trunk spoiler (which you can just barely see poking out).
Car was red lacquer with black highlights and a black vinyl roof, rolled and pleated interior, "Wink" mirror, one windshield wiper, (it would wipe faster lol)
I got a lot of attention from the police.

62-Polara-500-Original-5.jpg

This is my relatively stock cop car look 62 Dart 440 work in progress.

View attachment 1569630
My first B-body was an actual 1962 Dart police car that I purchased in 1967. It was an Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.) 2-door sedan cruiser. I replaced the tired 313 Poly and 3-speed manual transmission with a 383 4-speed. The car went from being a police car chasing speeders to being a speeding car being chased by police. Quite a role reversal! LOL

This is the car that started it all for me, this pic taken in HS 1969, car was lost in a flood when in college. It's a 62 Polara 500 with a 413 dual 4bbl Long Rams, Crane cam w/ a Varicam timing, 3.91 Suregrip, I added a front sway bar, big front drums, has a 727, and my own custom-built functional fiberglass hood scoop (which I still have today), and a rear trunk spoiler (which you can just barely see poking out).
Car was red lacquer with black highlights and a black vinyl roof, rolled and pleated interior, "Wink" mirror, one windshield wiper, (it would wipe faster lol)
I got a lot of attention from the police.

View attachment 1569631

Did they actually do vinyl roofs back then or was it a mod?

'64 was first year for factory optional vinyl top on Fury and Polara.

Fury, I hauled in recently 313 , I'm rebuilding a 413, likley go with small port cross ram and max exhaust manifolds

20231024_145213.jpg

20231024_145151.jpg

20231026_092637.jpg

Just found this article about the 62 Dodges. There is probably a Plymouth article too. https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2006/10/1962-Dodge-Dart/1351310.html
The article states I believe the 62 Polara 500 with a 361ci was available with dual quad long rams w/310hp, which I have never heard of nor seen, and I installed a set in my Polara and it tooka decent amount of inner fender well cutting to make it fit.
Can anybody confirm this intake OEM in a Polara?

The article states I believe the 62 Polara 500 with a 361ci was available with dual quad long rams w/310hp, which I have never heard of nor seen, and I installed a set in my Polara and it tooka decent amount of inner fender well cutting to make it fit.
Can anybody confirm this intake OEM in a Polara?

I don't believe there was such an option. I've never heard of it or seen it. The 361 hp, four bll, dual exhaust was standard for the Polara 500. There's been a few that had a 413 with two inline four bll but you can't find any documentation of them from the factory.

The long ram manifold might have been used on the '62 Dart that Motor Trend was testing. They tried several setups on the test vehicle. You know it would require some cutting to accomplish this. I'll try and post the article tomorrow.

The 30" long rams were available in '61 Dodges because they had a wider engine compartment. They were not available in the narrower 1962 unit bodies, for the very reason you stated. The factory would not take the time to individually modify the inner fenders. In the late '60's, I had a '62 Dart that I had put a 383, 4-speed in. I was offered a set of the long rams, carbs and linkage from a broken 413 for $75.00. I did some measuring, and reluctantly had to walk away from them.
I have an old Car Life or Motor Trend magazine test drive article article on a 1962 Dart 330 2-door hardtop. It is equipped with a 11:1 compression 413 with dual inline 4 barrels, like the setup used in the 1962 Chrysler 300H. It was rated at 385 hp. and was hooked to a floor-shifted 3-speed manual. This was a short lived option before the Max Wedge came out later in the year. This inline setup became available on some 383's and were rated at 343 hp. I ran this setup on a 426 Street Wedge I had in a 1964 Polara 500 convertible. If anyone asked, I said it was available as dealer installed (wink, wink), and self-rated it at 390 hp.

Screenshot_20210913-202626_kindlephoto-45016189.png

42.jpg

45.jpg

62 361 2 4bbl inline was a over the counter dealer installed set up.
Our high school teacher bought a new Sport Fury convertible and had every available option,factory or otherwise installed. Sold his 62 to my brother in 66 when he bought a Vette. Cool car, I remember my brother saying you had to get the car rolling up in rpm's before kicking in the second 4 bbl.

Auto Transport Service
Back