• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Plymouth Tachometer Install

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
Just got finished installing a tach in my instrument cluster without permanent modification. I couldn't find a good spot for a larger tach so I measured and ordered a 2 1/16" Tach from Autometer to fit behind the open spot in my cluster. I took a deep breath and hoped it would work as I cut the tach bezel and lens from the body. Fit pretty good and fabbed up a U bracket that attached to both sides of the opening with factory screws and captured the 2 studs on the back of the tach.

Wiring was easier than I thought. On my factory fuse box, there is a slot marked "Acc." that is hooked to hot. On the back is a male brass terminal. I soldered up a packard connection to the red wire and plugged it in. Already had a 2A fuse in it.

For the tach light, I wired it right to the cluster ground strip and hot strip for the factory lights. Ran the green and black into the engine compartment, grounded the black and hooked the green to coil (-).

Works perfectly. I may try the green light cover to see how it looks

20151123_211307.jpg
20151123_211316.jpg
20151123_211757.jpg

Sonny was wondering??:icon_eyes:

...........could you order a factory tach back in '62 or '63?? b-body?
:eusa_think:

No the tach wasn't available until the 1964 Plymouth /Dodge console .Interesting is that in 1956 the Furys had a tach in the dash ,but just for the one year .

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job on the 1962 tach ,It looks like it belongs .

Yep, definitely needs green cover on bulb. Great job.

That's killer! I love stuff like this. I remember (back in the early 90s) gauge companies made little boots, or condoms if you will, that go over the bulbs. I wonder if putting two over your bulb will dim the light enough to match the others.

Nice Job
Will go for it my 62 SF Conv

Sonny's....is MM?..not too shabby...?

Attachments

• tach, dash.jpg
    tach, dash.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 171
  • I sent my instrument cluster to G-Car (63 Fury) , Glenn is redoing the bezel and he in turn sent the instruments to Redline, they are white facing all of them and converting my in dash clock to a tach like this car. I learned about this from my conversation with the builder of the car in the picture.
  • Good job with yours threewood, very nice!

Rick Cox 63 Fury Instrument Cluster.jpg

I did put one in my 64 Savoy where the clock was, and it is pretty much full size.
It's a actual Mopar tac repo for 64's.

Auto Transport Service
Back